Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Organizing Fabric >
  • Organizing Fabric

• Organizing Fabric

Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 PM

Default Organizing Fabric

I am trying to figure out the best way to organize my fabric. I make mostly baby quilts. I do a lot of applique and like to use alot of different colors in my quilts. Right now I have my fabric sorted by color, but I find that I am bringing out all my boxes to get the colors I want. I would love to hear how some of you organize your fabric

Janie
    Old 01-13-2012, 09:55 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

.................................................. .............
    This is how my room is organized..

These are in 30 gal tubs no matter what size pieces they are:
    Holiday- each holiday (xmas, 4th, halloweenie, easter, etc) have its own tub
    Flannel
    Vintage fabric (35in xWOF)- all goes in one tub
    Authentic 30's feedsacks

All my Bolts (3+yards) are on the bookcase and in walk in closet.
    All my 1-2 yards cuts are ruler folded, then separated by theme (floral, kids prints, Asian, etc) and solids, blenders, and the rest are separated by color on bookcases

Batiks are in a see thru sterilite three drawer separated by light med dark..
    Fqs are separated by color, floral, novelty in it's own sections on wall cd racks, closet maid 24/36 bin shoe organizers.. Each area has its own 'theme' so i can find what I'm looking for.

My scraps are in specific see- thru bins, tubs and drawers depending on size..

Each Accuquilt Die cut shapes have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own- I do have most if not all the dies already.. lol..
    strips less than10 inches but longer than 5 inches of has a a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
    Strips longer than 10 inches but less than WOF has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
    2 inch strips are hanging on the back of the door
    1.5 x WOF has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
    2.5 x WOF strips has a a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
    3x WOF strips have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
    5x WOF strips have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
    all other strips x WOF are separated by colors and has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
    Crumbs have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
    Scraps less than a fq but larger than 6x6 has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own- these are waiting to be cut with my Accuquilt
    2 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
    2.5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
    3 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
    3.5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
    4 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
    4.5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
    5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own

And that's how my room is organized..

I followed Bonnies method.. www.quiltville.com.

Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 01-13-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    Old 01-13-2012, 11:36 PM

definitely by color, then size, scraps are cut into strips and stored in pizza boxes, by main color..,. till needed...scraps = anything less than 1/4 yd... tiny scraps cut into confetti and stored by colors... everything folded and on shelves ... visible... no boxes except strips...
    Old 01-14-2012, 01:17 AM

Mine is by color for the most part in shelving. Some I have that is by maker, like Laurel Burch and those right now are in big totes. I have a seperate for Hoffman, one of my favorites and that is in a shelf. I also have Oriental fabrics and Batiks in their own spots on shelving. All the rest are lumped together by colors. I do have a big tote of quilt backs and one of kids fabrics. So all in all , it is by color and some by certain kinds.
    Old 01-14-2012, 04:18 AM
    SEW

luvtooquilt...wow! very impressive. I just got an accuquilt and have just 1 die , but I am going to be on the lookout for a sterilite drawer system, so I will be ready for all the additional dies that I will be getting!!! Love how you store all your scraps! Thanks for sharing.
    Old 01-14-2012, 05:53 AM
    Banned

Mine is on shelves (like in some fabric stores) standing up on the bolts, by color, solids, blenders and then design,then a section for future projects(with pattern). Then I have a section for 'stash to sell', then I have a plastic three drawer cabinet with smaller pieces (under 1 yard) folded and by color. Then I have a smaller cabinet with tiny pieces separated by color.
    I also have see through scrapbooking containers with seasonal pieces in it (Christmas, fall, holiday). And more of the same with UFO work in them.
    Then I have a paper bag next to my cutting area to hold the little triangles I cut off while making blocks...... I usually give the triangles away since for some reason I don't use them for anything. They are the only thing I hate in quilting.... tiny triangles.
    Old 01-14-2012, 05:59 AM

Most of my fabric right now is folded and in wire basket units. I'm in the process of putting it on acid free comic book boards so I can stand it upright on book shelves. I'm still trying to get it all 'organized' by color, theme, etc. but haven't gotten there yet. In other posts on this subject members have come up with all sorts of ideas. We have lots of creative minds here.
    Old 01-14-2012, 07:11 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by SEW
    luvtooquilt...wow! very impressive. I just got an accuquilt and have just 1 die , but I am going to be on the lookout for a sterilite drawer system, so I will be ready for all the additional dies that I will be getting!!! Love how you store all your scraps! Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks !!! I was inspired by Bonnie Hunter ( my hero) as I was starting to get inundated with scraps and I was overwhelmed with it all over the place... So i made them into usable pieces using my go dies and they are ready and at hand when I need them... Works great for me..