Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing patterns from magazines >

Organizing patterns from magazines

Organizing patterns from magazines

Old 03-09-2011, 07:47 PM

The cardboard magazine holders are also available through www.currentcatalog.com. I have also thought about having files made with different categories for quilt top patterns.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:12 PM

I make copies and file them under quilts and then take the magazines to the quilting ladies or put them in a garage sale.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:13 PM

Guess I forgot to say the favorite patterns I want to keep I copy.
Ann
Old 03-09-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by dforesee
I don't take out the patterns I like and discard the magazine because I have learned over time that patterns I don't like today will be just what I want one day down the road. But I have found a space saving solution to store the largest # of magazines in the smallest amount of space that works better than any I have tried. I file the magazines alphabetically by title in hanging file folders (several mags to one folder) or cardboard magazine holders in a tall 4 drawer filing cabinet. On top of the cabinet I have a long file box for 3x5" cards in which I have set up a card catalog system. I have the name of a quilt pattern on the top line of the card, then below a listing of each magazine and page # that pattern can be found in. This took a while to set up a few years ago (going through all of the mags and filling in the cards), but it was fun and well worth it. Now I can find anything, and friends ask me for a pattern they need quickly instead of hunting through their magazines to find it. If I just want to browse mags for fun, I can take out a box or folder at a time and swap out for another one when I'm finished.
Wow!! would you like to come to my house and organize my 3 ring notebooks and magazines. Sounds like you have a great system there. Were you or are you a librarian? I just have patterns and printouts in plastic sleeves in 3 ring binders.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I have big 3 ring notebooks that I label with the magazine name. I put the patterns and templates, etc in those clear plastic sleeves and put into that magazines notebook. Sometimes if the mag. has a lot of patterns I want to keep, I stuff the whole magazine into the sleeve.
That what I do too!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 PM

I would NOT part with any magazines or books about quilting....what I want today may NOT be what I want tomorrow....I have a ton of both and have them on book shelves along one side of my "work" room....I also use the pos-it-notes to mark the patterns I want to try..trouble is, I have way TOO many marked to do..........
Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 PM

I keep the patterns I think I might want in plastic sleeves in three ring binders, and the templates go in to the plastic sleeves too. Because space is your issue, Jennifer, you might want to scan the patterns and keep the templates in plastic sleeves in a binder (or in file folders in a filing cabinet.) Sounds like your solution, after this issue is solved, is to get your magazines as an e-mag - no space-eating problem and you can print out pattern and templates as you want them.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:29 PM

I use gallon zip lock bags and cut out templates, pics of quilt and the date. month and name of magazines.

Then I three hole punch and put in notebooks or files. Notebooks are easier to look through for inspiration and next project.

Good luck
Old 03-09-2011, 11:29 PM

My mother (creatively) used cereal boxes cut to magazine holders. Sometimes she decorated them with gift wrap but quite often I'd see the nutrition info of the cereal on the spine.
To tame my magazine collection I remove the pattern from the magazine and staple/punch each one; then I use a 3 ring binder. The organization part is primitive but I just put my "favorite" or next project(s) at the front of the notebook - that way they're readily available.
Sometimes I just page through the binder like I would enjoy a magazine, only this time the pics/patterns are already in the "like" category.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 AM

How about scanning the spec things you want onto your computer using an external disc reserved just for that?