Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Organizing patterns from magazines

Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    I have several quilt magazines, by several I mean, maybe 100 or so...that my husband is demanding I get rid of. I hate to give them up because I may need one some day, for a particular pattern...

What I want to do is save the template inserts and certain patterns from each magazine, but am unsure how to go about it. I need to make room and getting rid of the bulk of the magazines is a must.

How do you go about organizing patterns and templates from magazines you no longer want?

I took a large binder and sheet protectors and filed the template, directions, and pics together. separated with tabs for different types.
    I also fixed one for crafts and one for sewing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dforesee
    I don't take out the patterns I like and discard the magazine because I have learned over time that patterns I don't like today will be just what I want one day down the road. But I have found a space saving solution to store the largest # of magazines in the smallest amount of space that works better than any I have tried. I file the magazines alphabetically by title in hanging file folders (several mags to one folder) or cardboard magazine holders in a tall 4 drawer filing cabinet. On top of the cabinet I have a long file box for 3x5" cards in which I have set up a card catalog system. I have the name of a quilt pattern on the top line of the card, then below a listing of each magazine and page # that pattern can be found in. This took a while to set up a few years ago (going through all of the mags and filling in the cards), but it was fun and well worth it. Now I can find anything, and friends ask me for a pattern they need quickly instead of hunting through their magazines to find it. If I just want to browse mags for fun, I can take out a box or folder at a time and swap out for another one when I'm finished.
    what a great idea. Will have to use that for myself

I decided on my own that if I was ever going to make any of those quilts I needed to organize them for my own sanity!

I went through every magazine and tore out the quilts I liked. I then put them in the top loading sleeves (got mine at Staples - 100 per box) that can be put in three ring binders.

After this was done I organized them into categories. For me it was applique quilts, baby quilts, traditional quilts, Christmas quilts, etc.

I then put these categories into binders. I bought the 3" binders and then some tabs to divide my categories.

Everyone thinks and works differently, but this is what works best for me.

I know someone who could NOT even think about tearing her magazines up, so what she did was take a color copy of the quilt she liked in each magazine. Usually the magazine name/date are on the bottom of the page, but if not, she would write that in. She then organized all of her magazines on a bookshelf. This way she could look through the copied pictures (she also put these in binders) and when she came to one she wanted to make she only needed to go to that magazine on her bookshelf.

Have fun!

Suzanne in VT

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    When I get a magazine, I go through it. If there is something that I think I might want to make, I put a little post-it type sticker on that page and save the magazine. If there is nothing in the magazine that interests me, I used to give it away to someone in Bible Study. That was before I joined this group. Now, I have a stack of the magazines that have post-it stickers on them and another stack that do not. When someone from this board is looking for a back issue of something, I go through the 'no post-it sticker' pile and see if I have it.
    Sometimes I look at the pattern that I have a post-it sticker on and wonder what it was that appealed to me about that pattern. It may not still appeal to me and I just pull the post-it sticker off and put it on the other pile.
    If you didn't want hold on to the magazines that do not have an item of interest in it, put them in a doctor's office, etc. Every magazine will not have something in it that I want.
    This is what I do, including the rethinking about some patterns. I put the post-it at the top so I can put the magazine in one of those holders. Once in awhile I will go thru a holder to see if I still am interested in that group.

I was tearing out the patterns I wanted to keep and storing them in a 3 ring binder, but then that got out of control. Now I scan them and store them on my computer. Much easier to find and they take up much less space.

I understand the "out of control" thing *LOL*! I actually re-evaluated my subscriptions and ONLY get AP&Q now. There had to be an end to the madness. I'm 46 and will NEVER make all of these quilts in my lifetime.

Suzanne in VT

Quote Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
    I would like to know as well. I have found that patterns that really appealed to me when I first started out, no longer do. And patterns that I didn't care for too much, now hold more appeal. Anyone else find this?
    This make me hesitate to discard any of my magazines. Especially as I have stopped purchasing them due to the expense.
    Yes, the very reason I WILL NOT throw them out.

I too use the big binders with the plastic thingys to hold magazines. Sat down last year and thought about throwing them away but just couldn't do it. Love those old old Quilters' Newsletter magazines!

Vat
    I use three (3) binders. You notice the s on binder. When I find something I love I either tear it out with all directions or I copy it and place it in my binders. Then get rid of the magazine. Saves lots of space. And occasionally I will go through them and discard things that I have changed my mind on like: "What was I thinking?". I refer to them all the time, they are so helpful.

Can you scan and copy onto a cd. Think I'm going to try and maybe give my magazines to the local quilt guild for their library and have it all still available.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty1mom
    I have big 3 ring notebooks that I label with the magazine name. I put the patterns and templates, etc in those clear plastic sleeves and put into that magazines notebook. Sometimes if the mag. has a lot of patterns I want to keep, I stuff the whole magazine into the sleeve.
    This method works well for me also - only difference is I have them sorted by type ie., stars, 9-patch etc

Quote Originally Posted by dirty1mom
    I have big 3 ring notebooks that I label with the magazine name. I put the patterns and templates, etc in those clear plastic sleeves and put into that magazines notebook. Sometimes if the mag. has a lot of patterns I want to keep, I stuff the whole magazine into the sleeve.
    I use the 3 ring method also - and the magazines are donated to our LQS - with or without removed pages - and the magazines are shared by many. Our LQS has a large basket where we can take any magazines for FREE.

Is your husband upset because he thinks they're too messy???? I bought several of those cardboard magazine organizers.. you know the kind that you put the mags in & the back faces out? anyway,,, they look nice & clean, hold like 10 to 12 mags, generally you can put a little label on the front.. I flag the pattern using a write on tab store the mags by publisher & date, then you can look for a pettern without pulling every magazine out and going thru the whole thing ( although that's what I'm currently doing while my machines are in the shop)

What works for me is tearing out the patterns (have to remember to check for templates as I forgot a few) and stapling them together and putting them in folders labeled: bed quilts, wall quilts, runners, lap quilts, etc. then I put them in an upright crate and file them. Then I can go through them and eliminate some that are not workable, and file some possibles in another folder. I do not want to keep a lot of magazines on hand and this is a good wayto cull out what I do not want. I also keep the hints and helps in another folder.

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    Great topic! I will buy a magazine just for one pattern !

I wonder if color zeroxing the pattern and pitching the magazine.. but sure to note the magazine and publisihing info and date.

Good one here ! Fold out accordian folder with tabs of style,
    I really like this post !

Thanks for making me think of another organizing way to help my clutter! Really trying !

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    And what is he going to get rid of? ;-) We use cardboard magazine holders, you can get them at Staples, Office depot etc. Then they can go on a regular bookshelf. I actually don't have many, however, my husband has 'super stock and drag illustrated' going back to the 50's!
    I cut large cereal boxes in the same shape of the more expensive magazine holders. some are covered in scrapbook paper. They are only seen in my craft room anyway.

I would (suggest) take out the pages and templates that you want, keep the cover of the magazine and slip them in a page sleeve and then keep them in a binder. I have a friend here that quilts with me and we buy different magazines and give each other the part we don't want and that is how I organize mine.

[quote=dirty1mom]I have big 3 ring notebooks that I label with the magazine name. I put the patterns and templates, etc in those clear plastic sleeves and put into that magazines notebook. Sometimes if the mag. has a lot of patterns I want to keep, I stuff the whole magazine into the sleeve.[/quote

Those plastic sleeves and 3 ring binders work great... That is what I do. I am on my 3rd big binder...

I scan patterns that I really like from magazines, books, etc., and save them to my computer. Sometimes I get way behind and the mags pile up, but I am current sometimes, too. It works for me.

Thank Goodness my hubby is not demanding.

Blog Entries
    ditto on what dirty1mom posted. Our quilting buddies have 6 binders full of diff. books, labeled as to type of quilt (Christmas, star, childrens, etc) and it works quite nicely. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by raedar63
    Hmmmm, husband demanding, no flippin way! ........
    Yep...I'd tell him to get a hobby.....then we would see who gets rid of what ;)

Besides, if you keep your magazines in those magazine holders (cardboard or metal) and he isn't tripping over them, what's the problem??

I mean, I could see getting rid of them if you were moving overseas or something....but beyond that, I wouldn't do it :!:

Now, organizing your mags so you could find the patterns you want to do more easily....now that I could see doing :thumbup:
    k

Blog Entries
    I started with binders but found it too much of a task. So now I use a big accordian file. I labelled each section (Christmas, houses, garden, Hawaiian, classic, stencils, retreats and even one for receipts). Easier for me than holes, sheets, etc. I do use sheets if there are pieces, etc.
    I keep my magazines for the same reasons; my tastes and abilities have changed. I store them in the bottom of my stash cupboard and take them out from time to time and it is just like getting new ones in the mail.

Blog Entries
    I guess I'd alphabetize large sized envelopes and put them in a file cabinet - I'm facing the same dilemma here - not that DH is demanding - he figures when my footspace is so small I can no longer walk into my little sewing abode, I'll figure out something has to go and I'm nearing that right now - but a file cabinet with them filed in order in envelopes so they stay together would be ideal! I hate to lose the magazines, as many times I relate to what desgin I want by remembering which magazine I found it in - but I guess my mind can learn to be more organized too! :) Have a great time organizing!

Any pattern that interests me I place in those plastic sleeves and put in a 3 ring binder. If I see them on the computer, I either print them off or keep them in a folder that I can browse through when I am looking for something new to do. Quilt shops always have free patterns from the fabric manufacturers so I pick those up too!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast