Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oriental Quilt

Blog Entries
    I need some suggestions I would like to make a Asian themed quilt I have 3 diffrent red and Black Asian Fabric, they are mostly red with black accent and I was planning on my Border being black. I think I want to make 10 or 12 inch blocks. I just cant seem to come up with a good pattern. Any sugestions?

Chinese lantern, also go to Pastimespatterns.com. I think I saw a couple with asian fabrics in their free quilts.

Blog Entries
    I have a lot of Asian fabrics,too. I keep thinking that it is too pretty to cut,so I will be doing one of the newer patterns using large blocks of fabric.

Blog Entries
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Asian...ed=0CBYQ_AUoAQ

This is a google search. Maybe you can find some ideas:)

My friend Bev does this mock Bargello..or u could do a stacked coin one..that you would have to look up..I don't have the pattern for coin..I'll go find the other one !! I did the dragon one with scraps !!

Left over scraps
    Name:  Attachment-220919.jpe
Views: 436
Size:  60.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

They are so beautiful. Try here for ideas:
    http://www.shiboridragon.com/Quilt-Patterns1.htm

I like the idea of chinese lantern blocks, but I love the shibori dragon patterns too. Just wanted to say, Melody your quilts are beautiful!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-129729-1.htm

I like this one and it is a free pattern, search on the board here there are lots of them.

Blog Entries
    Fans! Fans! Fans!

I posted just a few days ago about asian patterns. There is a book called 9 Patch Pizazz. Great ideas for asian fabric
    and they go together real fast. The style uses 9-patch blocks, simple, arranged with big squares and rectangles of the asian prints. They can look very picturesque. Search it and see if you like the idea.
    peace :D

I used the pattern BQ2 by Maple Island Quilts. My main fabric is black print with red, gold, and mint green. The three coordinating fabrics were a mint Japanese, a red Japanese, and a goldish brown batik. I call it my "Japanese Christmas Quilt". Went together fast-big black print square and coordinating strips.

This is a drunkards path I did using all orientals...
    It hangs on the wall in my bedroom...

What a lot of great ideas, I love the mock bargello ones, that would be so easy to do. The Drunkard's Path one is beautiful but I've always been nervous about trying the curves.

Quote Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
    What a lot of great ideas, I love the mock bargello ones, that would be so easy to do. The Drunkard's Path one is beautiful but I've always been nervous about trying the curves.
    You know, the curves were FAR easier than I would have expected. I actually am willing to do another, so that should tell you something!!! I actually took both halves of each piece with me to work, along with a box of straight pins, and I pinned them while on breaks. About every finger width. Then when I came home at night I would have a stack of 10 or so to stitch up and it never felt stressful. ( you may want to cut generously, that would give you a bit of wiggle room to trim blocks ssquare)

Have you thought of something like bento box? It's simple but very nice.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the input but I only have the 3 red and black fabrics and need to use black for borders I know I should of bought more material but I don't have the dollars I am making it out of Brocades I got years ago that is if I can find a pattern

buy some more ---just a thought!

Blog Entries
    What about a shadowbox? you can repeat those 3 oriental fabrics, use black for th shadows (I used the black that has that blue mottling through it, makes the black look blacker), choose a background fabric in a cream to really make the reds popl.

Vivian's purple shadowbox
    Name:  Attachment-221068.jpe
Views: 48
Size:  94.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Forgot to mention, you don't need to make it full size, I have a friend that made several lap size by cutting down the # of fabrics, blocks, and they made a great size either for lap or wall.

Look at the quiltcorral.com and look at the gutsy geisha patterns. Love them and my quilts that I make are really pretty and different.

There are some nice ideas on the Kaufmann site and the Hoffman site.

Blog Entries
    Wish I could help but looks like anything I'd suggest has been done already. Will love to see what you come up with.

Here is a pic of one I did for my Grandaughter a couple years ago. The pattern is called jewel box and I used brocade for the bigger QST and asian prints in cotton for the rest. She loved it. Hope this gives you some ideas

I would echo jtkaau's suggestion and look on the Robert Kaufman site. They have lots of free patterns. I am going to make
    http://www.robertkaufman.com/quiltin...ican_heritage/
    in asian fabrics. This particular one probably needs too many fabrics for your needs, but there are lots of good ones that would work I'm sure.

I have two books that give wonderful ideas for using oriental fabrics and explain the design process. The books might be out of print but I'm sure you could find them in a library or an online bookseller. Quilting with Japanese Fabrics by Kitty Pippen and Japanese Inspitations by Janet Haigh. The designs are so cool you could use other types of fabrics with the designs.

Perhaps a center panel of just the fabric, surrounded by a border (or two) and that surrounded by small squares of the fabric set in rows in a border all around the center and that surrounded by more borders.
    The small squares can be set on point if you like, or use circles - 4 tiny drunkards path, perhaps for something different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast