Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Orphan blocks… >

Orphan blocks…

Orphan blocks…

Old 05-01-2023, 03:45 AM

My Bee has made several from our orphan blocks. The one I loved, took the blocks and bordered them in the same background fabric. They fit together like puzzle pieces with the borders of different sizes running thru the quilt. If needed, there would be rectangles of the background filling in zones between blocks. Sorry I don't have a photo.
Old 05-01-2023, 04:26 AM

These quilts constructions remind me of the way I arrange T-shirts for quilts. I start in the center and work outward until balanced. Some get turned 90 degrees, and some get turned on point!
Attached Thumbnails preslie-sr.jpg  
Old 05-01-2023, 01:44 PM

Wink Orphan blocks quilt, my Favorite

I made one yrs. ago . I named it MOM LOVED YOU BEST> and my grandson claimed it. I ask for several orphan blocks and received about 30, they were all sizes, 8 in 10 in12in and 14 in . I started with the 10 in blocks in the center made a rectangle and put a border around. then i went to 8 in and surrounded the rectangle twice. with them , then added the 12 in and another border in between and use the 14 in blocks with sashing for the top which make it nice for pillow piece top, then a border all around for a large quilt and used the last four 8 in for corner stones. at each side.This was yrs ago. when aol .com first started and I had a block from LORETTA SMITH FROM PINEAPPLE ARE A PIECE OF CAKE. AND BRENDA GROETZ FROM KALIEDASCOPE FAME . This was in the days of bulletins . no chat rooms. I also have a mystery quilt top from a swap with LORETTA . WHERE WE SENT IN FABRIC ONE A MONTH.. AND LORETTA WOULD SWAP THEM OUT, AND SEND THE NEXT PATTERN BLOCK with the fabric that she matched and returned all the leftover fabric when finished, when we had all 12 blocks done, for another Quilt scrap quilt. For you younger quilters Loretta was with Eleanor Burns for many years. also used compuserve.com . PS I AM 85..

Last edited by CMARAS1234; 05-01-2023 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-03-2023, 03:31 AM

CMARAS1234 That sounds like a fun swap. How ever did we manage before the internet groups to do a swap? Yet, we did! My sons wrote to a quilt magazine for a worldwide swap. Anyone sent you 6" squares in any amount and you had to return the same number of 6" squares from your stash. They each got squares from every US state and from around the world. I made them each a quilt which they still use and treasure today. All without the internet - amazing what quilters can do when fabric is involved!

I really enjoy putting mismatched size orphan blocks together. I recently made one for my employer a fellow quilter for her retirement quilt. Her hubby snuck out the box of orphans for me so she had no idea. I had a swell time making her a queen sized quilt and still had half a box of blocks left!
Old 05-04-2023, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
I support a charity that gives quilts to dying patients in the hospital who do not have time to take advantage of hospice. Blocks are made every 2 months with a special color combination along with a particular block pattern. Many times the dear lady who runs this charity has blocks left over so she will bundle them all up a couple of times a year & send them off to one of the supports who does absolute magic in putting all those blocks into beautiful quilts that all look like they were planned and made by one person. It's amazing to see the talent that this supporter has.
I look forward to seeing what you do with your orphan blocks soon.

Here's a link to a series that she created on how she makes orphan blocks work in quilts. She made 5 different posts that she links to pertaining to the quilts she's made from orphans. Hope this help you.
https://myquiltodyssey.blogspot.com/...=orphan+blocks
What a wonderful organization! End of life time is so incredibly difficult for patients and their families. This is such a nice way to give them all some extra love and honor.
Old 05-06-2023, 12:34 AM

Logcabn, what a great question. I was organizing mine a while back and just couldn't get my head around it. Love some of the ideas given. I don't have ( lost the link) a picture, though I saw a pic of someone who made like a picture of a garden using orphan blocks, it was quite interesting.