Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Orphan Quilt Blocks >

Orphan Quilt Blocks

Orphan Quilt Blocks

Old 10-11-2014, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Notwendy View Post
I saw a really cute use for orphan blocks on Pinterest. The quilt top showed the orphan blocks hanging from a double clothes line with appliquéd birds sitting on the line. They looked like laundry drying in the sun and so not matching was a plus. I think it was a wall quilt but I'm sure it could be made larger, depending on the number and size of your orphan blocks.
This sounds really cute, wish I had some so I could make this for my mother. She loves to dry things on what she calls her solar dryer LoL.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
My Orphan blocks come from various quilt which means beside different fabrics, they are also different sizes. I can NOT imagine anyone making anything from them.
So, will you use them? I could imagine myself using them for you.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:11 AM

I use my orphan and "oops" blocks in crazy quilts. Either leaving them intact if they're small enough, or I'll chop them up a bit if they're too big.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:21 AM

I am going to use some of mine to make pot holders but I have thought of donating some to newer quilters to put together for practice. Making pillows from them is also great idea. Of course if the blocks are tremendous mistakes I wouldn't use them
Old 10-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

I wish I could participate in something like that, but I have yet to achieve the quarter inch seam, and mine always end up being smaller than anyone else's.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:40 AM

People give me scraps all the time which I LOVE and a lot of times there are orphan blocks in the bunch. Where you run into a problem is when you have jewel tone blocks and say, pastel blocks. I now have separated the blocks and bits of 9 patches, runs of flying geese ect...into a few piles of similar colors and hues and plan to make quilts with them. I will just add strips or checker board sashing or HSTs in the same color values to the blocks to make them the same size, then sew them together.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
I was just wondering - - most every quilter I know, myself included, has orphan quilt blocks and they just sit in a box or of somewhere in the corner. Here's my question: would there be any interest in doing some kind of orphan quilt block (OQB) swap? If you swapped OQB's, would you be inspired to add to them and making something wonderful with them?
Jane on another quilting forum that I belong to a Nesting Robin was started and the center is an orphan block. The best thing about this is the fact that everything stays at home with the added bonus of using one's stash.