Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Orphan Quilt Blocks >

Orphan Quilt Blocks

Orphan Quilt Blocks

Old 10-10-2014, 10:06 AM

Default Orphan Quilt Blocks

I was just wondering - - most every quilter I know, myself included, has orphan quilt blocks and they just sit in a box or of somewhere in the corner. Here's my question: would there be any interest in doing some kind of orphan quilt block (OQB) swap? If you swapped OQB's, would you be inspired to add to them and making something wonderful with them?

This is an open question/discussion. Appreciate input.

Thanks - - -

Jane
Old 10-10-2014, 10:24 AM

I have never been interested in trying to put together the unmatched sizes/colors/patterns so when I have a stack, I donate them to one of the QB members who puts them together for charity quilts.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:09 AM

Mine are usually orphaned because they are off a bit. I wouldn't subject someone else to my goofs. If I had just accidentally made extra blocks and they were correctly sized, I think it could be fun.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:35 PM

I have a lot of orphan blocks from doing the free monthly block challenge at my LQS. Every so often I sash a dozen and make a top for a charity quilt, then take to the guild (there are volunteer quilters) for the comfort quilt program. Swapping might be fun to put together a more coordinated group.

Maybe people would want to swap themes (like patriotic or childrens novelty) or colors. Maybe limited to size (12 1/2")?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

My Orphan blocks come from various quilt which means beside different fabrics, they are also different sizes. I can NOT imagine anyone making anything from them.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:00 PM

Lisa wanna b & Maniac, since your orphans are "goofs" and colors/styles so very different from each other, donate them in pay it forward...Pets wouldn't mind oddball colors/combinations.

or chop them up for use in scrappys & "made fabric" quilts.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:15 PM

I have orphans from other swaps. They are correctly sized and not off at all. Just not my style or favorite prints/colors. I like the idea of a swap. What the other quilter did with them would be up to them.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:16 PM

I currently have no orphans, but I pride myself in the uses to which I put them when I had them. I made a couple of 8" ones into pot holders and hot pads for the table. I put two paper pieced ones (I will never become a paper piecer) together, put on a couple of narrow borders and made a neato wall hanging for my studio. If and when I create some more, I plan to make them into a sewing machine cover (no one will ever see it buy me and the cat.)
Old 10-10-2014, 11:13 PM

I saw a really cute use for orphan blocks on Pinterest. The quilt top showed the orphan blocks hanging from a double clothes line with appliquéd birds sitting on the line. They looked like laundry drying in the sun and so not matching was a plus. I think it was a wall quilt but I'm sure it could be made larger, depending on the number and size of your orphan blocks.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:25 AM

How about pillows? Or maybe if you don't want to stuff a pillow, then can they be incorporated into a bag or other smaller item? I lost a neat bag I made years ago with a practice block for a fan quilt. Folded into a purse with a lining and a zipper along the edge or maybe a makeup bag? iPad or computer case? Depending on the size, maybe placemats or even add a lining and use them as a napkin. Or line them and use them like a doily. LOL, sew a bunch together into a superhero cape for a young child. (A special child, of course, who would be willing to wear it.) Add a lining and make a picnic blanket or tablecloth. If you have one you especially like, frame it.

Last edited by HomekeepingGran; 10-11-2014 at 03:28 AM.