Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Other uses for embroidery thread? >

Other uses for embroidery thread?

Other uses for embroidery thread?

Old 10-21-2011, 06:32 AM

It's thread. Use it wherever you like. I've used it to embelish a quilt, and to sew satin binding on fleece blankets.

Polyester and Rayon could both melt from a HOT iron. Rayon tends to shrink from dryer heat. Neither one will ever disintegrate in a landfill, so make them useful!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:58 AM

Use it for anything you like. I use every type of thread in my work as long as I like it and have never had any problems. The reason they sell it under the embroidery name is it is manufactured for the fast stitching; that's all, except to make us pay more. Use it and enjoy! Tks. G
Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 AM

That's the kind of thread that I use in my "Sculpted Threads" creations. (sculptedthreads.com) I free-motion stitch on the heaviest water soluble stabilizer and build up until it will hold the shape I want then dissolve out the stabilizer. Fun way to create jewelry pieces as well as deorative items. All done on a very basic machine, but it does need to have feed dogs that can be dropped.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Those are beautiful. I love your work.

Originally Posted by Thread Lady
That's the kind of thread that I use in my "Sculpted Threads" creations. (sculptedthreads.com) I free-motion stitch on the heaviest water soluble stabilizer and build up until it will hold the shape I want then dissolve out the stabilizer. Fun way to create jewelry pieces as well as deorative items. All done on a very basic machine, but it does need to have feed dogs that can be dropped.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:52 AM

If your machine has decorative stitches, it is good for that also.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:29 AM

If it's polyester thread, you can piece and quilt with it...rayon...probably can also...but some of the colors may bleed...I'd test first.

I have a TL18LS & I can use any kind of thread on her...but I won't use rayon...because of the possiblity it may bleed.

Originally Posted by Baloonatic
I was just given a couple dozen partial spools of machine embroidery thread. As I don't have an embroidery machine, is there anything else I might use these for? Is it strong enough for piecing or perhaps machine quilting?
Old 10-21-2011, 11:33 AM

Polyester won't melt at a steam setting...I use it a lot. Nylon will melt...rayon may also...but since I don't use rayons, I can only say that rayon fabric has a low melt temp...so I'd test before using it. Polyester is a very stron thread, and will hold up to cotton thread...I use a cotton setting w/steam to press my seams/blocks...have not had any problem in over 40 years. (did I just jinx myself? LOL)
Old 10-21-2011, 12:37 PM

if it's poly it will work fine for quilting.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:50 PM

Use it with your machine- adjust the tension, may be best in the bobbbin if it is heavier Use a regular thread on the opposite side If the embroidery thread is on top use regular thread on the bottom. Keep the stictches long as possible to give the thread maximum exposure which shows it off
Old 10-21-2011, 05:02 PM

I use mine for applique for the satin stitches never any problems