Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ott Lights

Glad to have this info on Ott lights and bulbs as I am "Ott dependent" while sewing.

Lowe's offers military discount of 10% at all times, in case anyone is in that category. Every little bit helps.

I just got a JoAnn's coupon today for 40% off on their Ott Lamps good thru August 28th.

big lots had the table version just like joAnn's for $30 !

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    thanks for letting us know that Lowe's carries Ott lights as well as Joann's
    Great tip---I've never heard anything but good about the Ott lights!

Blog Entries
    I've always said that not everything needs to come from the quilt or fabric shop.
    Charlene

Be careful when buying the Ott lites at such a low price. They might be discontinued models and once they are gone, you can't get replacement bulbs. If there are bulbs where you get the light on sale, it is always wise to pick up a couple of spares. They really do last a long time. Good luck

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    I didn't realize Lowe's carried them. I have bought at JoAnns and Michael's when on sale.

I got both the floor lamp and the table lamp from Big Lots and it was less than $60 for both AND they had replacement bulbs in the package. They are just as good as Ott and I've had them for about 2 years now.

I too have an Ott lite I purchased at Michael's with a coupon. Never chekded Big Lots! Thanks for that info. I want to purchase more of the lights so I don't have to continuously move the one that I have. Susie Sew-a-lot

I've been buying the HP floor lamps, almost identical to the Ott Light but just $29.95 for the table style, and $39.95 for the floor with gooseneck and all. Order extra elements at the same time for less too. I've had two floor models for over 3 years now and have yet to change elements. I love them!I would rather buy something as good for less than pay the ridiculous prices...that just leaves me with more to buy material. Yippee!!! A real Win-Win.

i got a full spectrum light at Menards for $19.99 for my vacation home. regular price is $29.99. it seems to be similar-the bulbs are smaller- to the Ottlite.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana
    Dear quilt/sewist friends,
    Please be careful using your Ott Lites around your computerized sewing machines if you have a LCD viewing screen. A good friend of mine ruined her $8,000 Janome.
    She kept her ott lite shining directly on her machine...and the LCD window. One day she turned her machine on and she had nothing on the LCD...she couldn't see what mode/style she was sewing and could not change modes or anything. When she contacted Janome, they said that she would have to send the machine to Janome and it would cost about half of the machine cost to replace the computerized screen. This has been 7 years ago, perhaps the display screens are more durable to light sources....I continue to hear that sunlight and these lamps can do damage to these screens. I use my Ott lite all the time, but cover the display screen when I turn on the lamp. Better safe than sorry.
    D in TX
    Really??? I use mine all the time right in front of my Bernie machine to increase the light and so I can use the magnifier. I thought it was a great way to help me do stitching right on the edge and any other finicky work. Now I'm going to have to find another light source and magnifier!!! I don't want anything to happen to my machine's screen!!

I picked up an Ott Light at JoAnn's this weekend for $24.99! They didn't have a floor lamp marked down but this is a tabletop with a long goose neck that can be bent wherever you need it. It is WONDERFUL!! It also comes with an attachment to make it a clip-on light on a table. I must have looked like that girl in the Exorcist when I saw it--my head swiveled so fast I almost hurt myself! The next second it was in my cart ready for the happy ride home. :) I love it!

What is an Ott light? I have horrible lighting in my sewing room.

I lucked out and got an Ott high def Chadwick floor lamp from Joanne's, which they usually sell at $160, for $35 as an online Black Friday special. Hurray!

Nice buy. I only have a small one on my cutting table but I could not live without it. I just love itl Eventually, I hope to own a large one.

I got my OTT-Lite - Table model - At Jo-Anns...it is wonderful....especially when I do applique, etc.....really a great thing!!! I think that it was about $80.00.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katiebear1
    What is an Ott light? I have horrible lighting in my sewing room.
    Ott is the brand name for a very bright "natural light" lamp. Ott makes floor lamps, table lamps and clamp-ons. I have a floor model and a clamp-on and have been using the floor lamp for years. They are VERY durable and the bulbs last a really long time. I'm still using the one that came with the floor lamp 4+ years ago and use the lamp every day. I don't use the clamp-on as often but again a GREAT lamp.

I ordered mine from JoAnns using a 40% off coupon and never once regretted the purchase.

Senior Member quilting librarian's Avatar
    Thanks for that tip - I have been thinking about adding some light to my sewing space, and will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    Replacement bulbs are the issue with these lamps so if you buy one, be sure you buy a couple of replacement bulbs. Once they don't carry that same lamp, they will stop carrying the replacement bulbs. You can find them online but I had to order 6 for my lamp at a time which can be pricey.
    I've had my table Ott light for 9 years, ordered a replacement bulb at the time I ordered it. I still have the original bulb in use and that lamp is on a lot.

Dee
    Love the ott lights. Good for ole eyes. Lowes is the place to go. Much cheaper then Anyone I found.

I bought mine a Menards last year and it was on sale for $29.99. I bought it so fast!! It wasn't an Ott brand but if you compare they are the same.

Thanks for posting this...I will definately check out Lowes...

Quote Originally Posted by CorgiNole
    I've been wanting to add another Ott Light to my sewing space, but had balked at the price for the floor lamps. I almost picked one up at JoAnn Fabrics this weekend when they were on sale; however, they didn't have the model I wanted. The prices ranged from $75-99 on sale.

When I was at Lowe's hardware store about an hour later looking at lamps, I happened upon an Ott Light floor lamp for $55.00 which looks remarkably like the one that JoAnn sells for $180 online. The biggest difference is that mine is black, which I prefer. They had very good prices on one of the table models as well.

Cheers, K
    I saw those lamps at Lowe's the last time I was in there. I still regret not having bought one then.

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast