Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ottlites -  Can they be fixed? >

Ottlites - Can they be fixed?

Ottlites - Can they be fixed?

Old 03-22-2013, 05:33 PM

Default Ottlites - Can they be fixed?

I thought I got a great deal the other day at Goodwill and picked up a Ottlite floor lamp. Ordered a bulb and popped it in today.

Annnnnd... Nothing. Go figure! So am I up a creek, or can these things be repaired? Online searches only result in how to insert a replacement bulb, and no manuals (at least from what I'm able to pull on my phone). Has anyone experienced a similar issue or been able to resolve it?

Model #W9437T

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:36 PM

No advise, but hoping to see that they can be repaired! They're not exactly "throw away" price!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 PM

You might try contacting Ott and see what they say.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:40 PM

I'll give them a call in the morning and see...I hear some flicking/buzzing in the housing when switched on, so it's unplugged for the time being.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:43 AM

Otts are just a small florescent lamp. This means they have a ballast or starter in them. This is the part that has gone bad if you hear buzzing in the housing. If you can take the housing apart and remove the ballast/starter you can probably find a new one at a good electrical supply store or online. I seriously doubt Lowes or HDepot will have it. You can call Ott directly. Give them the model # they can probably help you. http://www.ottlite.com/t-replacementparts.aspx

Last edited by Mitch's mom; 03-23-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

YDo you have a friend or relative who is an electrician? I think they could sort it out, but unless they are doing you a favor, there goes all the money you saved buying it from the thrift store!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:54 AM

At our Goodwill, you have 7 days to return something. I wonder if that applies to electrical items? I hope that you can get it working.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I had a floor model, it went out with a bang. Put new bulb in and like you nothing. My husband worked with it and it was a total loss. Never could get it to work. I hope you have better luck with yours!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:06 AM

I had a floor model that went out, too. Just stopped working. I was very disappointed, particularly in view of the cost.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:16 AM

I emailed them (OttLite) with my problem - light flashing before it appeared to burn out. Replaced bulb, no light. Tested circuits in the lamp - Switch works, power up to the lamp head, but no power between the two contacts where the bulb plugs in. That part is glued into the lamp head. They said take it to a qualified lamp repair shop, and they will sell the repairman the part. Somehow. I think that would be more expensive than buying a new one. The ballast is in the plug. That seemed to be working, since electricity was flowing from the plug to the switch, but the symptoms seemed to be a ballast going bad. Selling to repair shops is apparently an improvement. If you do a google search for "OttLite complaint" you see a lot of people reporting responses from the company saying to go to Joanns and buy a new one, or getting no response at all.