Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ottlites

I'm considering purchasing an Ottlite -- are they worth the money? Do you have one and like/dislike it? Thanks for your input as always.

I've had an ott lite for years. First for painting and now my sewing. I just love it. It's very bright and makes it easier to see. I just bought my mother one for her sewing machine

On my cutting table, I use the small one that opens like a clam. Next to my machine, I use the long floor lamp (which can be adjusted to turn in any direction) and I also have a nice looking floor lamp next to my chair in the living room. At 75, I need all the light I can get and personally feel the Ott lites can't be beat.

Both my daughter and granddaughter use Ott lites for their beading/jewelry making.

If I had my way, every light in my house would be an Ott light!!!

I love mine. I have crummy vision, and as I get older, it gets worse. I don't know if it's just the ott light that gets that bright, or if there are other brands, but it just lights up my sewing area like if I was out in the back yard sewing!!! I love it.
    I got mine on an awesome clearance, I wouldn't ever have paid full price for it, and still wouldn't. Too easy to get with a coupon.

I have 2 of the floor ones & really enjoy them, although the goose neck on 1 of them has the plastic cracked (I just duck taped it)
    I have the small fold away one that I take for the table at retreats & it's perfect.

Blog Entries
    I've had 3 ott lites & do not like them. What I do is buy a swing arm lamp & put a day light bulb in mine. Much brighter & easier for me to see. :thumbup:

I really like my Ottlites--I have 4!!! They are the best. Definitely worth the money.

I realized that I did not need to buy the entire fixture sold by Ott to have an Ott-lite. I bought two architects lamps at Walmart that take the same size bulb as an Ott-lite. Then I found the bulbs in Office Depot.

I love mine, it really helps these old eyes....but I found mine much cheaper online by searching around a few years ago. I think before I buy another I will just try the daylight bulbs available out there for my own lamps. I'm not sure if ottlite has the regular screw in bases yet. Used to be they had strange bases that only fit in their lamps, thus you always had to buy their bulbs to replace :evil: That's how mine is. I'm guessing the wide spectrum daylite bulbs available now will do the trick..and fit my budget :-D

I have 2, and love them! :)

Blog Entries
    I have the table top model that opens by unfolding. I like that I can carry it to where ever I'm working and direct the light to the exact spot I need it.

I have 3 and love them! :)

Blog Entries
    I have 3! :thumbup:

I got 2 of the generic ones that JoAnns used to sell when they were on clearance. I got a floor and a tall table. I love them.

Blog Entries
    i love my 2 floor gooseneck ottlites. however, my elderly aunt got a daylite floor lamp that was less expensive and has a larger bulb. although ottlites are great, there are other choices out there.

Blog Entries
    I have a floor model and a flip open one that I take when traveling. I'm a bit disappointed in the floor model...if I'm not careful how I have it, it wants to flip over. I guess I could put a weight on it to hold it down, but if it was designed better, that wouldn't be necessary. For the money, it should have a better design. The light is great though. The flip one is great for traveling. Gives me better lights in the hotel to do handwork.

I have a floor model knock off from Big Lots, same idea. Big bright light which I love, but, I think it dries my eyeballs out! I try and remember to blink a lot, but when I use it to hand quilt I feel my dry eyeballs.

I love my ottlite. About twice a year Joann's has a 50% sale on the lites and accessories - it is a great time to buy!

I have one floor and two fold up type. I use the fold up type when I go to classes or when I am traveling on vacations. Motels have terrible lighting, but this solves the problem. :)

Blog Entries
    Love Ott Lites. Worth the purchase.

I don't have an Ott lite, but got a generic brand (still has 'natural light') for only $30 about a year ago at Big Lots and love it. It is the floor model with long accordion neck and light that I can direct in any direction.

A Brite light that attaches to your sewing machine is good to have also.

Blog Entries
    I have two of the flip-open type that I got used for a bargain of $15 each! I use them all the time and really like the light they produce.

Blog Entries
    I have had a few Ott lights and also some of the lesser known brands similar all spectrum lights and I love them all. However, two of the Ott-light fixtures we have bought have broken and it' appears to be the ballast, at least we think. The bulbs are great but I'm not so sure about the quality of the (very expensive) fixtures. I really can't tell the difference between Ott light bulbs and the others. I got two floor gooseneck lamps from first street I think (was in a magazine ad) and they are really great. Such a difference from regular bulbs!

I have one and love it....or loved it until the light burned out. It didn't last very long at all. Now I have to find a replacement bulb. I have a tabletop Ottlite and can position it wherever I need the light directed. Hopefully the replacement bulb will last longer....if that is what the problem is.

I would never be able to do my hand applique without it. I hunted for one years back and saw the high prices. I was at Big Lots one day, and in the back of the store, where they have furniture, there in a box was a floor style one, exactly like the high priced ones, and I mean exactly. I paid $29.99 for it. They are still selling the lamps for that price, and I have had mine for 5 years and have not had to replace the bulb yet. I don't even think I could find the spare bulb I bought for when it would be needed, and I use the lamp every day, for sewing and for reading. It is a floor lamp with the goose neck, a really sturdy and nice one.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast