Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
our sewing toys >

our sewing toys

our sewing toys

Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 AM

What a FUN thread! My hubby has two VW Corrado sports cars in the midst of restoring, two Boston Whaler 15' boats, a room full of old mac computers, pcs, parts, wires, toys and switches and other geekiness toys. We tend to do his and hers type fun things: his and hers sports cars, his and hers Whalers, his and hers train sets.... although, I must say, the Lego's are ALL his!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 AM

Hmmm lets see, about 200 racing pigeons, hunting gear, expensive golf clubs, fishing gear, wood working saws, and tools, and 57 chevy pick up, and mechanical tools. I am sure I am missing something. But what takes most of his time is pigeons, he eats sleeps and breathes pigeons. We go no where unless its a pigeon related trip.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by lvaughan
Originally Posted by Sophie2
My DH has an airplane which he takes me to quilts shops - can't complain there. He also restores pinball machines from the 80's. He is in his "Man Cave" working on his machines while I am in what he calls the "Bat Cave" quilting. Works out quite well.
Can't beat that! My hubby also has an airplane, right now working on repainting, that has kept him busy for a while. How do you not get airsick, I have only gone up with him twice and both times I got sick.

His other hobby is learning, if he is not learning something he is not a happy guy. And I would also say that work is his hobby, he has worked three jobs most of our married life, 32 years. If he is not working on a project he is not a happy guy either.
I guess I am just lucky that I have never gotten sick. What type of plane do you have? Ours is a 69 Piper Arrow. Lots of room for fabric buys when we go flying!
He has what I would say is 1 1/2 LongEZ's. They are homebuilt! They fly very fast! Have you been to the airshow in Oshkosh, WI?
After I sent the last message I thought I should have asked if you have been to AirAdventure. We have gone for the past 11 years. I love going. We drive - only about three hours away. Usually fit in a couple quilt stops. I love looking at the LongEZ's. They are so sleek! ;)
Old 01-05-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingranny
MY DH's hobby is "woodworking". He is planning to build a 4 bay garage to hold all his tools because the basement and existing garage are too confining. There isn't enough room to move around in it he claims. We go to flea markets and he spends hours looking at all the hand tools that are for sale. He also collects kitchen knives (I've got the sharpest knives in town, not to mention, the most!) He also loves cutting wood for our wood burning stoves...and you need at least 10 chain saws, right? oh and a log splitter too!
Thankfully, he doesn't complain about my fabric purchases. He always says, "you can't make anything without the proper tools"....and fabric is a tool right?
For sure! Fabric is a TOOL. So is a longarm!!!!

:wink:
Old 01-05-2011, 07:26 AM

My hubby has his music studio. He has 2 Les Pauls, electric guitars, a Strat, a bass guitar, a drum set and all kinds of recording equipment! His hobby is more expensive than mine! LOL
Old 01-05-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
What a FUN thread! My hubby has two VW Corrado sports cars in the midst of restoring, two Boston Whaler 15' boats, a room full of old mac computers, pcs, parts, wires, toys and switches and other geekiness toys. We tend to do his and hers type fun things: his and hers sports cars, his and hers Whalers, his and hers train sets.... although, I must say, the Lego's are ALL his!
I agree. It is fun to see what other husbands do to keep themselves busy while we quilt. Or maybe it was quilting started because DH was busy with his hobby :wink:
Old 01-05-2011, 07:29 AM

Mine collects old marbles, and loves books and mags.
Will collect anything anyone gives him, like Pez Dispensers!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:31 AM

My DH has an airplane which he takes me to quilts shops - can't complain there. He also restores pinball machines from the 80's. He is in his "Man Cave" working on his machines while I am in what he calls the "Bat Cave" quilting. Works out quite well.
Can't beat that! My hubby also has an airplane, right now working on repainting, that has kept him busy for a while. How do you not get airsick, I have only gone up with him twice and both times I got sick.

His other hobby is learning, if he is not learning something he is not a happy guy. And I would also say that work is his hobby, he has worked three jobs most of our married life, 32 years. If he is not working on a project he is not a happy guy either.
I guess I am just lucky that I have never gotten sick. What type of plane do you have? Ours is a 69 Piper Arrow. Lots of room for fabric buys when we go flying!
He has what I would say is 1 1/2 LongEZ's. They are homebuilt! They fly very fast! Have you been to the airshow in Oshkosh, WI?
After I sent the last message I thought I should have asked if you have been to AirAdventure. We have gone for the past 11 years. I love going. We drive - only about three hours away. Usually fit in a couple quilt stops. I love looking at the LongEZ's. They are so sleek! ;)
We have been to AirVenture twice, 2008 and 2010. He is planning on going again this year but I'm not sure if I will. Him and his buddies are talking about flying in, his friend has a new RV7 they want to take. Have you gone to the quilt show they have for AirVenture. We stay at the University and it is across the river at what I think is the community center. I really enjoyed the quilt show, small but everyone was so nice.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:37 AM

We have been to AirVenture twice, 2008 and 2010. He is planning on going again this year but I'm not sure if I will. Him and his buddies are talking about flying in, his friend has a new RV7 they want to take. Have you gone to the quilt show they have for AirVenture. We stay at the University and it is across the river at what I think is the community center. I really enjoyed the quilt show, small but everyone was so nice.
I went to the quilt show a few years back. That year my husband flew in and volunteers driving the tractors around that pull the trams people ride on. I had driven in that year. While he was driving tractors, I went to the quilt show. That year it was at a church. We have talked about flying in and camping. That would be OK as long as the weather isn't like it was just prior to 2010 AirVenture.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:41 AM

oh mine is spoiled 3 harley's, 4 vintage cars, 2 campers fishing gear, tools welding machines plasma cutter for metal sculpture and I am sure there are more there are many things in his shop I can't identify