Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Out of my comfort zone >

Out of my comfort zone

Out of my comfort zone

Old 01-12-2015, 07:05 AM

I'm with you Dina, I just couldn't get into the other design you showed first, but I really like this one. Keep going it looks great.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Feather3 View Post
If you start with the top block on the left & look at the rows on a diagional they all line up until you get to the bottom right area. You pattern is off starting with the 2nd row up from the bottom, 3rd row in from the right. Some of your blocks in the bottom right corner area are turned the wrong direction. Swap or turn them & then it should look fine.
Yep and that may change the look (in her eyes) completely!
Old 01-12-2015, 09:02 AM

Oh, pretty! I like it! But if it's too busy for you, -- although it would spoil the secondary patterns and therefore, the look -- you could tone it down by adding sashing between blocks.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

I agree. Once you turn those around like the other blocks, you'll be fine. I think that's where you're having trouble. Beautiful quilt. Love the pattern!
Originally Posted by Feather3 View Post
If you start with the top block on the left & look at the rows on a diagional they all line up until you get to the bottom right area. You pattern is off starting with the 2nd row up from the bottom, 3rd row in from the right. Some of your blocks in the bottom right corner area are turned the wrong direction. Swap or turn them & then it should look fine.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

Going to be great when finished. Gorgeous!
Old 01-12-2015, 09:56 AM

I think your CHAOS, comes from your lower corner. Feather3 is correct, if you change you lower placement I think you will not feel the chaos. Sometimes when we work on something we miss the mistake. You've done a very nice job. Be very HAPPY that you know how to use you design wall. Your design wall is your friend (when I started quilting I didn't use a design wall - belive me I learn the hard way).
Old 01-12-2015, 10:11 AM

Yes, you are all helping me rethink this, and I really appreciate it. My current plan is to not sash until I add the 8 blocks I just finished. I will make sure all the blocks are positioned correctly. Then I will move some colors around if I need to AND audition a few borders. Maybe in the process I can come to terms with it. If not, the sashing will work for me, but I want to LIKE the original pattern. I know I did really like the pattern after I saw the quilt on this site, because I went out of my way to get the book the pattern is in. So, hopefully, I just need to do some serious playing and take pictures of my results so I can know what I really want.

I have, however, fully established that I should leave the scrappy patterns alone. I can admire scrappy quilts, I just can't make one...or at least enjoy making one.

Dina

Last edited by Dina; 01-12-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I have just put Angelia's suggestion on my design wall, and this may work. Here is a picture of it.

Dina
I like this a lot..
Old 01-12-2015, 10:46 AM

Here is my current plan. I like it enough to do it, though I will leave it up and walk by it for a few hours before that decision is final.

Thanks for all the help.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8002176.jpg  
Old 01-12-2015, 11:14 AM

OMG! It speaks to me! It's lovely. Keep going! If you still don't like it when it's all pieced together, offer it for sale here on the board. I'd buy it, (depending on the size) and I'd love it, too.