Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Out of print patterns and books

Blog Entries
    What are the rules about using information when you can't buy the book or pattern? Does the knowledge stop or can it be shared?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You can usually buy the patterns or books somewhere, ebay etc.

If they have been copyrighted, you still can't make copies of books & patterns even if they are out of print. You can purchase used copies of the books or patterns. That's why some of the popular older hard to get books are going for so much money.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda71
    What are the rules about using information when you can't buy the book or pattern? Does the knowledge stop or can it be shared?

I believe copyright is held for 72 years or something like that.

Amazon also carries a lot of out of print books from various sellers. You just have to find the quality and price of the book you want. The same copyright rules apply to out of print patterns/books as available ones. As far as how long the law applies.... I really am not sure but believe it does last for a fairly long time.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have a copyright on lyrics, it is good for 50 years unless things have changed.

ok, I knew it was a long time...lol.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by waladopa
    I have a copyright on lyrics, it is good for 50 years unless things have changed.
    most books/patterns are 72 years, but some can go until 50 years after the death of the last person listed on the copyright!

Thanks Jacque....I knew 72 years came in there somewhere...just couldn't remember where.

Blog Entries
    I don't mind sharing out of print quilt patterns or books to others. The author or designer is not losing any money if there is no more to sell.

They do lose money, however, if they ever choose to reprint the book or pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I don't mind sharing out of print quilt patterns or books to others. The author or designer is not losing any money if there is no more to sell.

Blog Entries
    Very few quilt book or patterns are reprinted. I've inquired too many time about out of print craft books and patterns with the reply Thank you for your inquiry about ______ but regrettably there is no future reprinting being considered.

Blog Entries
    I agree. I have some out of print books. I think knowledge is to be shared. Not stolen of course, but there should be a point that meets halfway. If I buy templates for a pattern and then have to buy a book or pattern for an outrageous price from someone, how does the author profit???
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Very few quilt book or patterns are reprinted. I've inquired too many time about out of print craft books and patterns with the reply Thank you for your inquiry about ______ but regrettably there is no future reprinting being considered.

Check out Alibris, too

Another great place to find tons and tons of used books is http://www.powells.com/

Also try Abe Books online. I have gotten out of print quilting books there that weren't on any other site.

ali