Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Out of print quilting books >

Out of print quilting books

Out of print quilting books

Old 04-06-2021, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Default Out of print quilting books

I wanted a quilt book that isn't that old but out of print. Prices start at $45 for the soft cover. No thanks, not worth it to me. I downloaded it to my Kindle for $4.99. I have started to buy the downloads of quilting books. If I do need a print out, I take a picture of the page, send it to my email and then print it from there. I am liking the E downloads more and more. I bought another Kindle just for quilt related books and patterns. I can hold a bookshelf of quilt books in my hand. Anyone else like the E books?

Oh if you download to computer there is a free Send to Kindle pdf app. https://send-to-kindle.en.softonic.com/

Last edited by Onebyone; 04-06-2021 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:24 AM

What a great idea.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:46 AM

I love e-books but have not thought them practical for subjects such as quilting, where the illustrations and visuals are so important. I agree, this would be great for out of print books, of which there are many in the quilt industry! Thanks for the tips.

How do you take a picture on your Kindle? Which Kindle do you have?
Old 04-06-2021, 08:52 AM

Brilliant idea! Thank you!!
Old 04-06-2021, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

I have found the visuals much more enhanced on the Kindle. I can enlarge any detail of the pictures on screen. I can't do that with a page from a book. I have several Kindle Fire 8, they are usually about $40, good for books and internet, good for the grands to use when here. I have the bigger Kindle Fire 10 for watching movies and quilt tutorials. My husband likes the Paperwhite Kindle for reading. We have several of the older versions and they still work great but no wi fi, only download books from Amazon. Open a drawer in my house and you'll probably find a Kindle. I keep one in the car so I always have a book on hand if stuck somewhere.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:21 AM

Since I'm downsizing, this appears a great idea.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have found the visuals much more enhanced on the Kindle. I can enlarge any detail of the pictures on screen. I can't do that with a page from a book. I have several Kindle Fire 8, they are usually about $40, good for books and internet, good for the grands to use when here. I have the bigger Kindle Fire 10 for watching movies and quilt tutorials. My husband likes the Paperwhite Kindle for reading. We have several of the older versions and they still work great but no wi fi, only download books from Amazon. Open a drawer in my house and you'll probably find a Kindle. I keep one in the car so I always have a book on hand if stuck somewhere.
This is good info, I only have a Paperwhite (which I LOVE) but that explains why I don't like the illustrations (because they're black and white) and why I can't take screenshots. I'll have to look at picking up a Kindle Fire.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:10 AM

I too have opted to go digital as much as possible, this includes books, magazines and patterns. I did a massive purge of books at the end of 2019 and have managed to not buy anymore.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:38 AM

I have mostly transitioned to Kindle for reading books, but have only just purchased a quilting book in ebook format. I wanted to see how I liked it, but have not yet used it. I'm glad that it has worked well for you, and thank you for sharing your experience. Space is at a premium in our small home.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:28 PM

Between my kindle and EQ8 - I figure I've got things covered.