Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Out of print quilting books >

Out of print quilting books

Out of print quilting books

Old 04-18-2021, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
This is good info, I only have a Paperwhite (which I LOVE) but that explains why I don't like the illustrations (because they're black and white) and why I can't take screenshots. I'll have to look at picking up a Kindle Fire.
I read on a paperwhite too and download cookbooks and quilting books to either my laptop or desktop using the free kindle app. Bigger pictures and in color!!! You may not need a kindle fire tablet.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=StudioC;8476621]
Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I wanted a quilt book that isn't that old but out of print. Prices start at $45 for the soft cover. No thanks, not worth it to me. I downloaded it to my Kindle for $4.99. I have started to buy the downloads of quilting books. If I do need a print out, I take a picture of the page, send it to my email and then print it from there. I am liking the E downloads more and more. I bought another Kindle just for quilt related books and patterns. I can hold a bookshelf of quilt books in my hand. Anyone else like the E books?

This only works for as long as your computer has A-space available, B- does not change formatting and is still supported, (like the windows 10). Also it has to specifically state that you can print it or it is illegal to do so! and NO, I am not a fan of Ebooks of any kind!

My Kindle Fire uses a micro SD card so I never run out of space. The computer uses a flash drive, I never run out of space on my laptop. All my old books I downloaded to Windows 98 load just fine on Windows 10. All publishers of the quilt books I have checked into, allow printing for personal use. I don't see the problem.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:58 PM

For those not thrilled with the idea of e-books in general: A Kindle or tablet is a lot easier to travel with than multiple books. And, should you develop arthritis in your hands, holding a tablet is much easier. That is what finally turned me.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
For those not thrilled with the idea of e-books in general: A Kindle or tablet is a lot easier to travel with than multiple books. And, should you develop arthritis in your hands, holding a tablet is much easier. That is what finally turned me.
My experience has been the opposite, perhaps because I tend to set a book down and then turn the pages, whereas my tablet, which is pretty heavy, is shifted to one hand while I am swiping with the other. It's probably in how one does it.

I find that my thumbs and fingers, particularly the index ones, are swollen and fat after very much time on my iPad. Seam ripping, with the rolling motion I use, is a close second.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 04-20-2021, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
I don’t think you can print from a Kindle reader.

On a computer or tablet, use the “screenshot” function. From a Windows computer: “The easiest way to take a screenshot on Windows 10 is the Print Screen (PrtScn) key. To capture your entire screen, simply press PrtScn onthe upper-right side of your keyboard.

The screenshot will be saved to your Clipboard. To save the file, paste the screenshot into any program that allows you to insert images, like Microsoft Word or Paint.”
Thank you so much for the info.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:48 AM

Default Kindle and wifi

Just a tip. We cruise a lot and read from our kindle fires since many ships are nixing their libraries. We can download more books from free wifi in cruise terminals or airport or tether from our phones if we need to or want to look something up.