Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Overheating foot pedal? >

Overheating foot pedal?

Overheating foot pedal?

Old 02-23-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by kwendt
The idea with those older Singer pedals was that the solid button was to rest your foot on, then you'd tip your foot sideways to run the machine... then tip back off of it when not running, in between seams, etc.
Talking about that pedal, I have some Singer interoffice memos talking about that pedal. The engineers were talking about you put your whole foot on the pedal and use your heel to operate the machine. It was designed to keep your foot from getting fatigued from long periods of use. That is why the foot control is so big.

Some useless Singer trivia for you!

Billy
Ah... but you couldn't actually do that if you were wearing heels, like so many of the fashionable females in the Singer ads! No you, switched them around until you could use the ball of your foot for depressing the switch... I remember my mom showing me this 30 "ahem" years ago on her old 401. I'm not going to say it, but.... who was it that thought of using a 'heel' to depress that small switch? hum.. lol.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:49 AM
Banned

I can just look at it and tell from the feel and the weight of the part if its Bakelite or not. I have messed with these old machines, cars, and memorabilia for so many years its almost second nature for me. But it would be neat to see the scientific way of knowing.

Billy
Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I can just look at it and tell from the feel and the weight of the part if its Bakelite or not. I have messed with these old machines, cars, and memorabilia for so many years its almost second nature for me. But it would be neat to see the scientific way of knowing.

Billy
Not so scientific. lol I learned this in the process of learning to identify civil war to 50's original jewelry and beads. There are 'tricks' to every trade.... lol.

Anyway... Bakelite was used for lots of things besides radios, sewing machine pedals/parts. It was also used in jewelry - for beads, chokers, collars and bracelets. A true vintage Bakelite piece will go for $30 or more dollars. How you tell... is you rub the surface to be tested with your thumb, repeatedly, a lot, fast. The friction and slight oils of your hand will create a bit of heat. Then you sniff it. It will smell sort of like smoke. Once you test things a few times, you'll learn to recognize that 'smoke' smell. It's different from say, cigarette smoke or wood smoke... it's distinctive. Bakelite in and of itself doesn't usually smell.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:51 PM

Very informative and interesting thread...so far I haven't had any problems....thank goodness... but am glad to learn how to prevent any problems.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:09 PM

That sounds dangerous. Get it checked out ASAP. Not worth a fire.