Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Packing Up To Move >

Packing Up To Move

Packing Up To Move

Old 06-12-2014, 05:23 PM

I just told my husband yesterday that I have a lot of fabric and need to use it up. I will be 70 so being realistic how many more years do I have to use it up so I have decided not to buy any more fabric I would love to get someone in my family interested in quilting but really don't see that happening.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by mustangquilts View Post
The boys and their families will be here this weekend and most all our stuff will be headed for the 720 miles move on Monday morning. I will just keep what I need for next two weeks till we sign the papers and leave for good. Will still have things to pack. It has been a long 9 days of packing. So Glad that I retired on June 3rd. Could never have gotten this much done if I was still working.
I see that you're moving from Idaho. We did too, to North Carolina 3 years ago. We moved from the Boise area...Best Wishes on a successful move!
Old 06-13-2014, 04:13 AM

mustang, be careful on choosing a storage place. We had things in storage for a couple of years and we had one break-in and one winter that the snow melt got into the unit and a lot of things were damaged. I'd rather sell stuff than go through that again. It sounds like you are doing what we did..... retire.... relocate..... relax. We now have a winter place and a summer place... I get to sorta move every six months. I've got it down to a system now..... but as I get older it's still work. Good luck with your move.

Last edited by patricej; 06-14-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:30 AM

We are moving also. It just sorta happened that the dominos started to fall. We have about six weeks before we close on the new house. I will have a new, bright, lovely sewing space. I have been in a rather cramped space for quite a while now. Oh, by the way, the rest of the house is also lovely. My husband will have a space for his model railroad and it won't be in my sewing room!
Old 06-13-2014, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Embrace the adventure!! Good luck to you on the move.

Last edited by patricej; 06-14-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:51 AM

That's a wake up call! I wish you the best on your move. My sister moved 3 times and lost many totes of fabric and sewing stuff each time due to mildew or other damage from storage. I just helped her downsize and move again. She's taking it like a trooper, better than I think I would!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:55 AM

We moved from TX to WA state five years ago. I had a storage building full of sewing stuff to move, but a moving company handled it all. My husband retired the first of March, so now we will be moving back to TX (hopefully the Hill Country or Central TX), when our house sells. I haven't started packing anything up yet. I have a large sewing area and gigantic storage closet that's as big as a room. In the past five years I've accumulated a lot of sewing machines as well as tons of fabric and other paraphernalia, so I really dread packing it all up. Once we sell, if we don't find what we want right away, we will have to rent for awhile, which might mean placing a lot of stuff in storage until we do. I dread that because I'll spend all my time running back and forth digging through bins. I sure hope this is the last move!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:00 AM

We're planning to put our house on the market (hopefully) by the end of the year, and then buying a slightly smaller place with some acreage. In the meantime, we're getting rid of unwanted household stuff left and right, and are planning a massive yard sale at the end of this month, including LOTS of fabric that I'm downsizing.

I had NO IDEA I had so much fabric. We're talking: pickup truckloads. Plural. It's UNBELIEVABLE! It's a wonder our house hasn't sunk into the ground. Our move will just be a local one, but it's going to be a chore moving all of it.

Funny thing is, 10 years ago, I had no real stash to speak of. Apparently fabric reproduces like bunnies!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:00 AM

We have been in our house since December. Previously to that we were renting for two years, previously to that we were in south Georgia for 6 weeks, after moving from Texas with 3, horses, 1 miniature cow, 11 dogs, 9 cats, 6 birds, 3 goats, and the hardest of all to travel with...2 teenagers!
(If you haven't guessed, I have a farm)

So good luck on your move and don't stress too much! I hope you enjoy your new house. I know I do.

Last edited by patricej; 06-14-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:33 AM

Just as a precaution, the fabrics you have in plastic totes I would also put them into a plastic bag too. I had my sewing room in storage for 4 years by what I thought was a good company and when my stuff arrived, most of my plastic totes were cracked, bowed out of shape, etc. All was supposed to be in an A/C storage unit but when I noticed some of my small appliances and even one sewing machine that had been white when it went into storage was now yellowed which makes me think it got hot inside the unit. Anyway, I was fortunate that my fabrics or machines were not damaged due to the totes being destroyed.