Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Paducah,Paducah,Oh wonderful Paducah.

myself and 4 friends were there ll week also. Came in on sunday evening and left on Sat afternoon. We took a class with Eleanor Burns on Monday so much fun. Had great weather and fun all week. Three of us took 2 different classes they were great. Also went to Ricky's concert. All signed up for hotel for next year...

Blog Entries
    OH I would so love to go to the Paducah show. I think it is about a 5 hour drive from here. I am hoping to go maybe next year. It is on my Bucket list.

This trip is on my "must do" list. One more year of teaching school, then I can plan a trip to hang out with my dgd in Southern Il that coincides with the quilt show. I can hardly wait!

Does anyone know the dates for next year?

You all are creating quite the yearning in me to go to Paducah! It sounds like such an exciting and fun trip!

Paducah is a great adventure! The museum there was designed expressly for quilts and only quilts. The museum purchases the winning quilt each year to go into the permanent exhibit. They also have special showings of quilters' work. In addition, there are exhibits all over town, quilts in every store-front window, art galleries, restaurants and the famous Hancock's of Paducah fabric warehouse. All quilters should go there once. I think Houston is too huge for l'il ole me and I am much happier at Paducah. Also, AQS now has venues in 3 other cities to help quilters see the show. Look at an AQS mag and see where they are going to be this year.

on my bucket list. got to see Vegas this year and could mark that one off the list. LOL

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    Quote Originally Posted by janbland View Post
    Book your hotel now. We waited to late and ended up in a dump.
    Your hotel wouldn't have been the Metropolis Inn by any chance. That's the one my cousin and I booked from the "approved" AQS list and it turned out to be a dump. We had to go buy pillows the first day cause theirs were stained! We checked out a day early and took off on Friday, missing the Alex Anderson class and Ricky Tims show we paid for. If we go again we'll go by bus and get in a decent hotel they save for the buses.

I loved everything in Paducah tho. The museum was great and so were the quilts in the main center building. Scads of vendors everywhere! There was even one from Everett WA there that surprised me. We went to the dinner with Eleanor and she is a wonderful person. Did some shopping at her tent and store cause her prices were great. I got to see Hancock's of Paducah but both my cousin and I were disappointed that they didn't have any special offers for all the quilters (like 10% off fabric). The town is great and we met a lot of people from all over--even Australia, Japan, and England. This was my first time and my cousin had been a few other times on a bus.

Go if you get a chance!
    She who dies with the most fabric didn't sew fast enough!

All this chat is making me want to plan for next year. Linda K - where did you fly into? I'm in Seattle & I know SW has direct flights to Nashville...
    Shannon

Get your hotel room sorted before you book your flights.

jeannie, i'm from Oregon as well. Perhaps we can gather our sewing daughters ( i have one who sews and aspires to quilt) and take a jaunt to Kentucky some day. More than just Paducah though. i have friends who have worked at Ft. Campbell and they tell me Kentucky is lovely, except in humid summer time, then only the mountains are lovely.

We live in TN and I have been lucky enough to get to the Paducah show on 3 different occasions. Absolutely love it each time I have the opportunity to visit. Got to say though that after visiting Mary Jo's in Gastonia, NC I was disappointed in Hancock's. Actually didn't purchase a thing there the last time we went. There was lots of eye candy at the show though to tempt the pocketbook. Ann in TN

Blog Entries
    I was at the quilt show in Paducah,, I am not to fond of the modern or contemporary quilts, but i loved the quilt museum because of the old quilts, i have quilts that my grandmother made from the early 1900's and that is more my style, I did go to Hancocks and spent a fortune they have a lot of nice fabrics and i picked up their catalog for future purchases. I walked all through the town of paducah and went through the shops, met Ricky tims and Alex, and Eleanor Burns, but I had met Eleanor Burns at her shop in California twenty years ago, have several signed books of hers. I don't know if i will go back but i did have a nice time. I think everyone should go at least once in their lifetime.
    Mary

I got to go with quilter1942. We had an awesome time. The fabric frenzy on Friday morning was a lot of fun.ricky Tim's concert on Friday evening was amazing. Hope to go again some day. I am impatiently waiting for my Janome machine to come. Sure hope it gets here tomorrow.

I was in Paducah for the first time this year and it was amazing! Paducah is in western Kentucky. There is a huge fabric store there named Hancocks of Paducah. Its really big, and they have just about everything that is on the market. They also do a lot of mail order, so you should check out their website (no affiliation, I am also checking it out!). I got to do some star watching too. I saw Ricky Tims, met Alex Anderson, Marti Mitchell, and Megan Best. We bought fabric and do-dads. I saw a man piecing blocks that were 1" finished!!! It was amazing. I am so going again!

Crowd photos from Paducah

I have gone to Paducah for the AQS show about 6 times now. It really should be visited by every quilter at least once because it is difficult to describe it sufficiently. Simply wonderful! One photo shows outside crowd and one inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by BobbysGirl; 05-05-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Washington State summer, Sun City AZ winter
    Quote Originally Posted by beatys9 View Post
    All this chat is making me want to plan for next year. Linda K - where did you fly into? I'm in Seattle & I know SW has direct flights to Nashville...
    I went to Milwaukee to meet up with my cousin and we drove around going to her siblings' area first in OH then drove through WV, NC (where 2 other cousins live), over to TN then up to Paducah from the Nashville area. There were people talking about flying into St. Louis to go to the show. I would check out which airport would be the best drive to Paducah. My cousin has gone to Paducah in the past on bus tours and says the hotels they have booked are better than what we got off the AQS web site recommendation. Of course, a bus tour from Seattle wouldn't be much fun!

We stayed in Mt. Juliet outside Nashville in a newer HI Express hotel. I noticed it was close to the airport and people told us not to stay in Nashville. I don't know much about St. Louis since I've never been there.

I'm glad I went but would try and get a better hotel next time--and book early! Metropolis was about 7 mi from Paducah and once we parked in Paducah, there were buses to take us around the area and we didn't have to worry about parking at each place we stopped. There was parking next to the main hall of the show for only $5 a day.
    She who dies with the most fabric didn't sew fast enough!

I'm only 60 miles from Paducah and go there to shop quite often. I love Eleanor Burns shop and also Hancocks. I am sorry to say I have never been to the quilt show, but have friends that go every year, I sure hope I can make it next year.my friends say we need to go and get a motel as there is too much to do in one day.I have just started quilting in the past year and bought a quilting machine so I will have to use it alot. people tell me there is a lot to learn there. Look forward to seeing Eleanor Burns......

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by quilter1942 View Post
    My DD and 4 friends and I were in Paducah for a whole week.Had such a good time.Shopped,looked at Quilts,went to Museum (was great ) Fabric Frenzy on Friday Morning (A new adventure ) and Ricky Tims Concert,ws absoloutely superb.Saw old friends,made new friends.If you are a quilter make time to go at least once.
    Wow, those crowds look like those at the Houston show ! I've never been ... but it's on my to-do soon list !!
    Last edited by TexasGurl; 05-07-2012 at 06:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    I was telling my DD about this show and we have decided that next year we will drive up from Florida to attend. We plan on going to Graceland as well since Memphis is only a couple of hundred miles south. I can't wait. Should be fun.

So.......who is going to win the AQS car giveaway? I took a picture with my phone and sent it to my dd and asked if she like my new car. She told me that I was sick. How many of you signed up for that drawing?

PS I think the car giveaway is this fall?

Paducah is in Western Kentucky. It is a small town but it is devoted to quilts during the show. It is very hard to get lodging though. Wonderful experience. Elanor Burns has a tent full of fabric and also a store whoch is open all year.

Blog Entries
    DH and I took a trip south and stopped through Paducah just to see what all the talk is about. Went the week after everyone else left from the AQS Quilt Show. Wasn't bubbling with lots of people so very easy to get around. First thing I had to do was go to Hancocks. Amazing amount of bolts of fabric! I ended up purchasing from the 4.95 bins as I could not pay the regular $11-13 for a yard of fabric. Kept thinking of my LQS and their 20% off once a month, or the wonderful shops online. We thought the employees were probably tired from the show as they were not especially friendly or helpful. We then headed to the museum where we gladly handed over $11 each to see the wonderful handiwork of others. It was amazing! Headed over around the corner to Quilt in a Day where I purchased many many yards of fabric. Many bolts that were at Hancocks for the higher price, were going for $5 a yard. Small section was more, but I didn't need those. They also have shelf after shelf of marked down fabrics. The employees are some of the most friendly I have met in a quilt shop (besides ours locally). Our trip through Paducah was one very well spent. We missed the tent sales, and talking to the well-known quilters and some very talented quilters, and learning about all the new products, but we really enjoyed it anyway. Any hotel, any food chain you can image (most anyway) is there, with lots of rooms available if you don't go during the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda - K. View Post
    I went to Milwaukee to meet up with my cousin and we drove around going to her siblings' area first in OH then drove through WV, NC (where 2 other cousins live), over to TN then up to Paducah from the Nashville area. There were people talking about flying into St. Louis to go to the show. I would check out which airport would be the best drive to Paducah. My cousin has gone to Paducah in the past on bus tours and says the hotels they have booked are better than what we got off the AQS web site recommendation. Of course, a bus tour from Seattle wouldn't be much fun!

We stayed in Mt. Juliet outside Nashville in a newer HI Express hotel. I noticed it was close to the airport and people told us not to stay in Nashville. I don't know much about St. Louis since I've never been there.

I'm glad I went but would try and get a better hotel next time--and book early! Metropolis was about 7 mi from Paducah and once we parked in Paducah, there were buses to take us around the area and we didn't have to worry about parking at each place we stopped. There was parking next to the main hall of the show for only $5 a day.
    there's a small airport in Williamson County, Illinois (Marion) that isn't too far north of Paducah. St. Louis doesn't have a real good road connection to Paducah. Nashville has I-24 most of the way and wouldn't be a bad connection.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

This is on a bucket list and for me and my sister. One day...........................

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2