Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paducah

I am going to visit my daughter in Nashville. I thought about driving up to Paducah for the day.
    Aside from the quilt museum, do any of you quilters have any suggestions for "MUST SEE" things there?

oh what a lucky girl you are. can i go with? you avatar looks like mt shasta or at least what mt shasta looks like to me from when i have seen it from the cali side.

Looks more like Mt Hood to me.

Mt. Hood it is!

Handcock's of course. You could spend all day in there.

Blog Entries
    I have not been there, but hear there are several quilt shoppes and of course the museum. :)

Pam
    Handcock's and Quilt in a Day. I went down there last year for the bar b que festival and to shop, and those were the only places we went to besides the museum.

Blog Entries
    Stop in at the Convention and Visitor's Bureau and they can give you a map of the area and all the fun things to see. I can't remember if I got a map to all the quilt shops from the CVB or the museum, but it was fun to explore. My DH drove me around to all the quilt shops there and every single of them were very nice to visit. Friendly people live in Paducah!

You may be able to get that same information on-line by going to their city website. or google Paducah, ky. Everything is on google you know!

Hope your daughter didn't have flood waters to contend with.

Pam
    oh yes, Carol Bryer Fallert has a shop there, FANTASTIC quilts.

Of COURSE Hancocks, check out the gorgeous river walls, stroll downtown and yes, Eleanor Burns shop, and if you are inclined, take a 15 minute drive over the bridge to Metropolis Illinois - yes 15 minutes, and check out the statue of Superman and then--ta DAH!! Harrahs!!!! yyyeahhh!! Have fun and just explore!

Don't forget to go to the river & look at the Murals on the sea wall!! Very interesting.

lucky you, have fun.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    If you are going this weekend there is a superman festival in metropolis. If you stay on the 24 just as you enter Illinois you will see a sign the directs you to metropolis. Thought I would give directions. I might be going sat.

Oh, lucky you! Have a wonderful time!

Been there several times. The flood wall is a MUST!!! If you're looking for really good food there's a seafood restaurant at the North end of the wall that's superb and they have things other than just seafood. At the South end of the wall is a Mariner's Museum that is free will donation to tour. On the Trace (the road Between the Lakes) there's a 1880's working farm, a planatarium, and beautiful scenery. On the North or Northwest is the Welcome Center that's an old mansion. It's also a museum but I think the museum part is only open for a few hours a day. Anyway walking around the grounds is beautiful and very relaxing. And the quilt shops---Oh, the quilt shops! There are also many antique shops there too. At one time you could tour inside the dam. I don't know if it's ever been reopened after 9/11 but there is still interesting reading and sights from going in the reception bldg.

Blog Entries
    never been there, have fun!

Blog Entries
    Hancock's is fabulous - but oh-so expensive - 10 rows of batiks - all $10 a yard! Eleanor Burns shop has most of its material at $4 a yard - at least that is what it was when we were there last fall. My DD lives there. Going to go in a few weeks.

Blog Entries
    I've been there for many quilt shows. The downtown historic area is very nice, park at the museum and you can walk the murals and downtown historic district and Carol Beyer Fallert's Studio. Quilt in a Day is a few blocks out from the river end. Paducah is on a main town hwy, not downtown. Carson Park in town is where Quilt in A Day sets up the fabric tents during the show. The big barn building there is where E.Burns displays all her quilts and her books. It's only there for the show though. It's a very nice town to spend a weekend for a quilter. Oh, a huge Harley Davidson outlet is there and lot of water activities to do and camp grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    never been there, have fun!
    CraftyBear, you're only a few hours away unless you're E. Central. You should go sometime and make a long weekend of it. You'd have a wonderful time. I'm E.Central Il., and it's only about 5 hours away. If you leave early one morning you could be there in plenty of time to shop, spend the night and shop some more the next day.

Blog Entries
    google quilting shops and locate some fun places to hit... could be costly though.

I'd check on line and get the name of their "quilters guild". Contact them and see if you're there to attend one of their meetings as a guest. If it's near the start of your visit, they could probably tell you everything you "need to know". They probably have an email addy. and would probably be able to give you suggestions.

Thank you for ALL the helpful hints.
    Now I am getting REALLY excited.....
    I'll let you know how it was when I get back.

Blog Entries
    Oh, one day a week, I think Wed. Check the website, the Yo Yo's of Paducah set up in the lobby of the quilt museum. They let visitors sit and sew. Be sure and ask to see how to do the bow tie block. I was so fascinated by their method at the quilt show, I went to the first vendor and bought a pack of charm squares, a pack of needles and a spool of thread. I didn't leave the YO YOs until I could make one! I sit in the hotel room at night and made bow tie blocks by the dozen. They were selling raffle tickets for a georgous yo yo quilt so I bought a ton. Didn't win but the bow tie lesson was worth every ticket. Knowing the Yo Yo's was the highlight of the quilt show to me.

They were showing how to do the block for free but there is no way to explain it without seeing it done. At least I can't begin to explain how to do it. I have searched for the method online but haven't found it any where. Any one know what I'm talking about? :-D :-D :-D :-D

I thought that looked like Mt. Hood in your picture! I'm from the Estacada area! Nita :lol:

I had no idea there was so much to do there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast