Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adding borders!

Hi Trevo47 from SC!

I am doing a small quilt with just six blocks and wanted to know when adding borders do I measure and put the top and bottom border on first then the sides or doesn't it matter? I know I must measure from the center of the block to get the right measurement but I'm not sure if I start from top and bottom or side to side! :?:

I do the sides first, then the top or bottom next.

Hello and welcome!!

I put the sides on first, then the top and bottom. That is how the patterns I've done say to do it. Not sure if there is a technical reason or if it's just more aesthetically pleasing that way.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Welcome to the board!! It doesn't really matter as long as you do either both sides first or top and bottom first :)
    I press the finished quilt and then measure and make the borders accordingly. Remember to make whatever borders you do last long enough to account for the other 2 borders, which will be already sewn on. Hope this makes sense!! :D

Wow! Thanks so much for the quick replies! You are all great and thank you very much! :thumbup:

Welcome from Ireland.

Blog Entries
    Hello and Welcome to the board :D:D:D

Although I usually add the sides and then top and bottom, it really depends on how you want the borders to look. You can certainly reverse that.

Side note: If you are short on fabric, adding the sides first may save you from having to piece the border pieces together.
    You will end up needing shorter pieces than if you add the top and bottom first if the quilt top is a rectangle shape :wink:

bj
    I don't think it really matters if it's a square quilt. If it's a rectangle I put the longer on first, then the shorter. Especially if it will save me having to piece my borders. Or I put a contrasting (cornerstone?) block in the corners.

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!
    I do the sides first usually also.

welcome from maine,i also do sides first

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the quiltingboard.

I don't think it really matters. If I have a quilt that measures 40 x 60, I'll do the top borders first since that way, I dont' have to piece the top and bottom strips :D

The main thing I try to do is alternate if there's multiple borders, so it's border 1 top/bottom, border 1 sides, 2 top/bottom, 2 sides, since I like how it looks when it alternates

Blog Entries
    The order you put them in is personal preference but one thing I found out is that when cutting borders, they will lay flatter (less chance of waviness) if you cut them lengthwise on the fabric vs. across. The way the fabric is made, there is less play on the lengthwise weave. Show us your project when you're done. Good luck.

welcome aboard!

On rare occasions when I have a directional print I will "walk" it around the quilt. (Like adding a round to a log cabin block).

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK
    The order you put them in is personal preference but one thing I found out is that when cutting borders, they will lay flatter (less chance of waviness) if you cut them lengthwise on the fabric vs. across. The way the fabric is made, there is less play on the lengthwise weave. Show us your project when you're done. Good luck.
    Ahh, glad you pointed that out! Makes all the difference!!! :D

Blog Entries
    Wow thanks for this info, not me asking the question but I will be sure to remember this tip. Since my last border was wavy and I could not figure out why, now I know. :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingfan
    Wow thanks for this info, not me asking the question but I will be sure to remember this tip. Since my last border was wavy and I could not figure out why, now I know. :-D
    i didn't know that (now of course, I don't have enough length left from my fabrics to DO that on the borders I need to do tonight :lol: ).

Blog Entries
    the biggest reason to add sides first is because of the length involved, if you add the sides first your fabric does not have to be as long, if you add top and bottom first that increases the sides length that much more, so sometimes it is just easier.

Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida!!
    I do the sides first then the top & bottom!

Blog Entries
    Welcome, waving from Indiana, USA

Blog Entries
    remember to measure across the center of the quilt not the edges/lol

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. Glad to have you here. I usually do the side first and than the top but you can do it either way.

Blog Entries
    Where in SC are you??

I am in the Upstate.

JBJ137 in SC

If it is a rectangle, I put the longer sides first. That way I do not have to piece the border.

Hi, I am in Myrtle Beach

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast