Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Painters tape and quilting techniques ??????? >

Painters tape and quilting techniques ???????

Painters tape and quilting techniques ???????

Old 09-05-2012, 08:49 AM

To get rid of any kind of gummy stuff (as long as you are OK with washing it), WD-40 works like a charm. It doesn't take colour out. Then, you can hand or machine wash it with a product like Dawn dishwashing soap to get rid of the WD-40 and the residue. My old dog once ate a tube of bright red lipstick that my daughter used for dance recitals, then proceeded to throw up several times on our grey rug. (We were out at the time.) I tried many kinds of carpet cleaners on the violently red patches with no result. As a last ditch measure, I sprayed it with WD-40 and the stain came out completely!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:52 AM

I roll it to stick to itself and put it on the top right on my machine and use it as a thread catcher. It is also good to clean up little threads on my cutting mat. And a good lint cleaner upper.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:01 AM

Painters tape is good but the smell kills my nose.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by fatquarters View Post
I tape my backing flat to the floor when preparing a sandwich, it hold the backing taunt, so I never have puckers

Also write #s on it and stick to blocks for marking rows or block placements, works for me instead of pinning pieces of paper.

AND never used this tip, but recently seen where someone marked the vertical sides of their blocks on their cutting board for squaring up or checking size. For a 10" block they placed 2- 10" piece of tape 10" apart so they could easily check the block for size

I use it all the time to mark my blocks in rows for sewing together.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by newbiequilter View Post
I just found out the hard way how much better the blue tape is than masking tape. I have a project which I marked the directional areas with masking tape. Weeellllll, it has been sitting for, ummmmm, let's say over a year and I just decided to finish it. The areas with the masking tape - when I could finally remove it - are gummy and now I have to figure out how to get the gummy stuff off my fabric. Really bad move on my part. Won't do that again!
newbiequilter try using rubbing alcahol on a Q-tip or cotton ball to get the gummy stuff off. It won't hurt your quilt and usually gets yard sale tags off of things I've bought
Old 09-06-2012, 03:09 AM

I use it on the sewing machine to mark the 1/4" seam line and/or larger if necessary - even scant 1/4". I use it for taping down areas when I am painting a Barn Quilt, I put them on my marking pencil, so my fingers don't slide, I use it around the dog's mouth to keep her from barking when I am in deep thought on a quilting problem......only kidding! I tack things on my sewing table to remind me of things, to use to hold down directions, and once in a while I use it when I paint a room. Not too often though - don't want to waste the tape. Have a good day. Edie
Old 09-06-2012, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by kelsunshine View Post
newbiequilter try using rubbing alcahol on a Q-tip or cotton ball to get the gummy stuff off. It won't hurt your quilt and usually gets yard sale tags off of things I've bought
You could try ice also and then scrape it with a knife (be careful, however). Edie
Old 09-06-2012, 03:13 AM
Power Poster

I keep wanting to try it bit have not yet
Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
I cut little tiny strips and use it to tape the end of the thread to the spool. Also do the same with bobbins. No tangling ends everywhere. I can't seem to remember to use the bottom snap thingy on those spools that come with them and I file off the "slit" in the spool so it doesn't catch the thread.

I also use it to tape down the topper stabilizer when embroidering.

I read somewhere years ago that a spool of thread should be placed on the machine with the nick on the bottom to insure that the thread feeds the machine smoothly. I am thinking it was in my Viking Instruction Book. It makes the thread feed from the left back side of the spool rather than the front right side. I do have fewer thread issues by threading the machine using this method and my thread never catches on that dreaded nick and it is still there to hold the thread securely when not in use. I also use removable reinforcements or round labels to hold the thread on my spools and bobbins. They remove easily, leave no residue, are not expensive, and a couple of sheets of them take up very little space.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:21 AM

I use painter's tape, too, for marking quilting lines. However, I have found that the off-brands do not stick and have a nasty habit of lifting up while machine quilting. I now use only Scotch brand... and I don't work for them either!