Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pam Bono >

Pam Bono

Pam Bono

Old 06-14-2011, 06:27 PM

I just finished putting the borders on 'Flying Home'. It looks good. Not easy. My first Pam Bono. You just have to read and follow directions very carefully. She uses techniques that I wasn't used to using. I am willing to try another of hers. I bought the Quick ROtary Cutting book of hers. It has lots of patterns in it. Her patterns are very different from others. Some look like applique but are totally pieced.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:50 PM

I just received in the mail the Saddles pattern and These Boots pattern. I plan to try the boots first. Actually the pillow with the boot first. It looks complicated, but I'm gonna tackle it with a calm spirit and see how it turns out.

Pam will be in McDonough, GA on Sept 11 for a trunk show at 1:00.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Power Poster

oh my, i have two of her books but have yet to make anything out of them.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 PM

My avatar is one of the 12 blocks I did from Pieces of Baltimore. They were not hard to piece, just many small pieces to keep organised. I learned the importance of accurate cutting and seam allowances.
Here is the link to the last block of the 12 I completed-
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36595-1.htm

I still haven't pieced the top yet because the border has like 34 or so pieced flowers that I haven't made yet. Her patterns are a LOT of work, but I will be very proud of it when it is done.....someday!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:15 PM

I've made two of them! Both king size! One was to be my very first quilt!!! :-D :-D :-D Wasn't the first one I finished as you can imagine! Then I did the Out of Darkness quilt that I'm just now getting around to quilting. I love doing them, but its not exactly a good idea for beginners although I sure did learn a lot from her book!

My little "lasagne pots" that you all must be so tired of hearing about are just the thing for all the pieces!

Sunflowers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211720[/ATTACH]

Out of Darkness
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211721[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211714.gif   attachment-211715.jpe   attachment-211718.jpe  
Old 06-14-2011, 09:55 PM

Wow Kitsie, those quilts are beautiful. I see you like sunflowers too. :-D
Every time I open her book I drool over all the pictures then I quickly
close the book. LOL

How long did you take to make the sunflower quilt? Then I'll multiply by 10 for me. ;)
Old 06-14-2011, 10:36 PM

Easy, you gotta like piecing! I do, but it was blissful ignorance of the "oh, I could do that" type. Never having made ANY quilt before, what did I know? I even added a column down the center to make it wider. Sure did learn a lot! To save my dignity and sanity I did a couple of other things in between times. I did it on an old Pfaff 1196. Imagine SID around every d*$#n sunflower petal! So I guess it took almost a year! The second one was a BOM and I managed to keep up with it month-by-month, then it sat in the back of my closet for about a year until just recently. Had promised myself I would finish it when I got my GQ (new Pfaff)

Try one block to see how you like doing it! I wouldn't mind doing one of hers again one day!
(BTW, ease, I really like your avatar!)

Oops, sorry everybody, thought I was doing a PM! :oops:
Old 06-14-2011, 11:06 PM

So, that was your first quilt? Oh my. You sure did a wonderful job.
I think I bought that book for the sunflowers, IIRC. LOL
Old 06-15-2011, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
So, that was your first quilt? Oh my. You sure did a wonderful job.
I think I bought that book for the sunflowers, IIRC. LOL
It was meant to be and started out as my first project, but ended up being one I worked on in between easier quilts! Never was one to "start with something small" like I always advise others to do! :D :-D :(

I still have the book: Big Book of Quick (??) Rotary Cutter Quilts.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 AM
MTS
Banned

Wow, Kitsie, those quilts are great. Both look like they were a ton of work.

I opened up one of her free patterns - Daisy something - and I have to say, I was pretty surprised to see ELEVEN detailed pages. I could see where you would really have to follow every step and keep yourself very, very organized. Which is NOT how I work at all. ;-)

It's one thing to have a complicated pattern and give crappy directions. But she certainly gives you step-by-step detailed instructions. So I can't fault her for that. But those would not be patterns I would recommend for first timers. As Kitsie said, ignorance is sometimes bliss.

Funny, though, the first thing I in that pattern saw was her method for making HRT blocks (Half Rectangle Triangle). So I learned something new even if I never do any of her patterns.

I still LOVE the ANGLER2, though.

Thanks for the information.