Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper for paper piecing question >

Paper for paper piecing question

Paper for paper piecing question

Old 08-31-2013, 08:51 AM

Just did my first paper piecing about a2 weeks ago. Used the regular copy paper. It ripped off with very little effort. I liked using it and would choose that again.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I have used all types. For paper piecing I prefer lightweight translucent vellum (not scrapbooking vellum) or Stable Stuff. You leave Stable Stuff in, no tearing out. For foundation piecing I use lightweight interfacing and leave it in. I don't like to spend time removing paper, it's boring, messy and tedious.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:07 AM

I've used Carol Doak's, copy paper, vellum and doodle pads from the dollar store. The vellum I got was evidently not the right kind; it was a nightmare. Copy paper was okay, but not easy to remove. I like Carol Doak's, but the winner for me is the doodle pads from the dollar store. I use a paper cutter (the kind for scrap booking) OR an old rotary cutter to cut them to the size I need. Have run through the printer w/out any problem at all. Tears away easily (I do reduce my stitch size when paper piecing).
Old 08-31-2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt View Post
I use the cheap school pads from the Dollar Store. You have to trim them to size but they work fine.
Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
I've used Carol Doak's, copy paper, vellum and doodle pads from the dollar store. The vellum I got was evidently not the right kind; it was a nightmare. Copy paper was okay, but not easy to remove. I like Carol Doak's, but the winner for me is the doodle pads from the dollar store. I use a paper cutter (the kind for scrap booking) OR an old rotary cutter to cut them to the size I need. Have run through the printer w/out any problem at all. Tears away easily (I do reduce my stitch size when paper piecing).
I too use the scribble pads from the Dollar Tree. I don't think it makes any difference if the paper costs $1 or costs $15. My great aunt used newspapers. I don't believe that it lessens the quality of your PP project by using cheap paper. The results are the same whether you use specially made papers or whatever you can get your hands on. Use whatever tickles your fancy and fits your budget!
Old 08-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

I don't think anyone is looking for paper that costs more, just for paper that's easier to use. Newsprint comes off on your hands, so it must come off on the fabric, and you can't print on something that's already printed. I wouldn't use old newspapers for those reasons (and also because we no longer take any newspapers). Most of the PP I've done is from Judy Niemeyer patterns, and they're already printed on lightweight paper. I have done a little PP with copier paper and had no problems, as long as the stitch length was small enough, but I want to try velum, just haven't gotten around to finding and buying it.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:36 AM

I don't paper piece much but my sister sent me a pack of the Carol Doak paper and I like it better than copy paper. If it runs out, I'll have to check out the dollar store.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:52 AM

I bought a pad of what they call newspaper print paper. Can be found at office stores or some craft stores. Mine is a large size and I can cut 1 sheet into 4 pieces. But they may come in regular paper size. I have also heard some people use the drawing pads they get at like dollar tree type stores. The paper can be put into your printer and easily tears off without tugging to hard on your stitching.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:49 AM

I've tried everything and my favorite is the Scribble Pad from Dollar Tree. It's plain newsprint and comes in a pad of 60 sheets that are 9" X 12". I cut them down to 8-1/2" X 11" to feed through the printer. My sister gave me a paper cutter for my birthday at least 30 years ago, which makes the trimming process go quickly.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:55 AM

That's so funny about the Scribble Pad from Dollar Tree. I actually have it already, just never thought about it. Thanks for all the great ideas! I knew this would be the place to find out the answer.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:25 PM

I like plain copy paper, but it's easier to remove if you have shortened your stitch length a little bit.