Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Pieced Block >

Paper Pieced Block

Paper Pieced Block

Old 05-12-2011, 09:55 AM

About a week ago I posted on here about a problem I was having with a block for a Storm at Sea quilt. Someone suggested that I paper piece the block, so that's what I am doing. I don't have much experience with paper piecing, so I'm hoping y'all can answer a few questions for me before I go much further. When do I trim the seam allowances for each piece added to the block, and when should I remove the paper from the back. I am concerned about the bias edges that will be on the outside of the block. See the attached pic of various steps in the block.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-196190.jpe  
Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 AM

Spray starch will help those edges. Just spray and press, don't iron, just press up and down. I have also used this method it works great for me. Remember to handle carefully. Happy sewing!:)
Old 05-12-2011, 10:07 AM

I trim the seam allowance as I piece. Don't remove the paper until the entire block is finished and attached to the next block. This will keep those bias edges straight.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by beckalou
About a week ago I posted on here about a problem I was having with a block for a Storm at Sea quilt. Someone suggested that I paper piece the block, so that's what I am doing.
Sorry. I think that was me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Your diamonds looks fabulous. Great seam allowances, which should make it fit together very easily with the other subunits in the block.

I would not take the paper off until the whole quilt top is pieced together. There is no reason. And if it's sewn on paper w/o the seam allowance (I think you were going that route), even less reason to take it off now. The paper is doing it's job. Leave it on.

As for trimming, I would pp a bunch of blocks, take a break, press and trim the bunch, then go back to sewing. Or whatever method works for you. I don't know if you're going traditional or multiple colors. As long as you can keep track of your plan, it's all good.

When I'm done sewing all the pp subunits, then I'd start putting the blocks together. If you're organized and work in a semi-cleared space (and I am such a hypocrite to even write those words), it should all go together relatively easily.

It's a great feeling when they're all in their little piles, and you're not digging for the next piece.

When you have at least one of each piece done, I would probably do a test block to make sure all my foundations are actually all really fitting together well.

I can't wait to see it until it's done.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 AM

I trim the seam allowance on the fabric before adding the next piece. That way, you can line up the edge of the added fabric to the edge of the fabric already on the block. For the block, trim it just before you sew it to the next block. I remove the paper from the seam allowance once it is sewn. I leave the paper on until that block is surrounded. That means the the outside blocks would have their paper until the borders are added.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:39 AM

Thank you all so much for your responses. MTS, I think it was you who responded a week ago. I have 76 blocks pieced to the stage of the first (left) block in the pic. Now to relax for a bit and do some trimming before I add the final two pieces. Again, thanks for all your help. Will post pictures when I get the top put together.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

I do alot of pp and starched fabric is key to keeping bias edges under control. I tear the paper away from the seam edeges whithout removing all the paper from the block before I sew each finished block together and finish removing the paper after each block is sewn together.Removing the paper from joined seams is very difficult and fustrating. I remove the paper first from along the seam area, sew the seam and then remove the rest of the paper as I go along. You really don't want to remove paper from an entire quilt at the very end of the project. Just imagine a queen size pineapple block quilt with paper on the whole back.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:32 PM

Ube, pretty much what I was thinking. Was not looking forward to removing paper from a queen sized quilt. Will do it as I sew the blocks together. Fabric was starched prior to cutting.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by beckalou
Ube, pretty much what I was thinking. Was not looking forward to removing paper from a queen sized quilt. Will do it as I sew the blocks together. Fabric was starched prior to cutting.
Taking the paper off a queen size quilt is a couple of hours in front of the TV. Hopefully a leather one. On wood/tile floors. ;-)

It's really not a big deal. I keep all the paper on until the borders are attached.
I might remove the paper from the center right before, but I'll leave it on the outer blocks exposed edges are contained.

And with all the pressing, moving, pulling of the sections as you put the blocks together - it ain't worth it. Especially because of how the corners were sewn on, leaving bias all around.

Plus you don't have any paper in the seam allowances, right?
So it's even easier.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:18 PM

MTS, yes, I do have paper in the seam allowances. I couldn't get the file you created to print without being colored in. That would have used up a lot of ink on my printer. So I just made 78 copies of the template that was in my book and used those for the pp.......sigh, lol. I'll do it the right way and leave the paper on until the top is complete with borders. But I only have one room without carpet so will have a bit of a mess after I get done ripping out the paper. Good thing hubby is good with a vacuum cleaner.....lol.