Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piecing and cutting fabric >

Paper Piecing and cutting fabric

Paper Piecing and cutting fabric

Old 02-20-2015, 09:32 AM

Default Paper Piecing and cutting fabric

I have decided to have a "me" weekend and I found a paper pieced quilt that I want to start working on from this site. http://piecebynumber.com/double-dutc...quilt-pattern/ . I haven't paper pieced in awhile and I really enjoy it. Here it my question I am kind of anal when it comes to cutting fabric for my quilts so I was wondering when you are given a paper pieced pattern how can you determine the size of strips you should cut from your material for certain portions of a block given that you need to leave seam allowance and such. Since I have to make repeats of several of the block I though I would cut my fabric pieces and have them all ready so I could just begin grabbing them and sewing. Thanks for the help!!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:45 AM

I usually look at the foundation paper as a finished block and then de-construct it. In the case of Block A, you need two HST's of each colour that finish at 2 3/4 inches. I would cut my squares 4 inches (to be safe) and then cut diagonally for the 4 pieces that are needed. Block C is similar but with one square left whole. Block D needs two more of those same sized HST's and needs a strip of fabric in the center, that measures 2 inches in diameter (I would cut that strip 2 3/4 inches just for a little safety)

And I would continue on with the measurements, perhaps only cutting one strip of each to begin with, just to make sure that I had the correct dimensions. Pretty pattern. I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

Visit Carol Doak's website, she has a tutorial teaching you how to cut your fabric for the best usage for paper piecing
Old 02-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

There is a ruler type tool that is called Add Enough. It is for determining how much fabric you need for paper piecing each piece. Connecting Threads has it on sale this week. It's been available for years and is very handy to have when using scrap pieces.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:08 PM

I have the Add Enough ruler and honestly, there must be a learning curve attached to using it. I found it confusing and less than useful when I was making my paper pieced border, which consisted entirely of triangles.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

I always add a lot of extra fabric when I cut a piece for PP. It is better to waste some fabric then to come up short.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:23 PM

If you are doing the Double Dutch Rose Pattern. I would photo copy a piece of the quilt, then take a piece of fabric or paper and cover the section leaving at least 1/4 to 1/2" all the way around. I would have it more 1/2" or larger. Stack your fabric right side up and use the piece you just created as a template to put on top of your fabric and cut the shape. Do this for each shape and color. Remember to keep the fabric on grain.

This is why I like Judy Niemeyer's quilts...you precut all the fabric. Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:30 AM

That's the way I do it too.