Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Paper Piecing is Exausting

Blog Entries
    What does TUIT stand for?

Notice it is round and you give it to someone when they say they'll do someting when they get a round to it thus a round tuit.

The best way is to organize. Cut the strps to size 3/4 in larger then you need. I go over the pattern with a large unthreaded needle exactle where the seams are. You can do as many as 10 pieces at a time. This make the ripping out the paper so easy and you don't have a huge mess of little pieces. Also try to chain piece. Do the same color on each block, like chain piecing. These are some of the things that have helped me.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by peggymunday
    No, it isn't a continuous pattern for the TUIT, it's 3 seperate pieces. But it really didn't create much bulk having the foundation out of muslin instead of tear away paper. Here's the free pattern from Paper Panache if anyone would like it. It offers 2 different sizes, mine is the 7.25"
    http://www.paperpanache.com/free/guestpats/atuit.htm
    Ah, because of the letters. I wasn't even seeing them.
    I was looking at it as a dodecagon, and thinking that it would make a really cool mug rug. ;)

Power Poster
    I am also working on this and have 6 blocks to go. It almost seems that each block gets a little more difficult. But keep telling myself it's going to be a beautiful quilt. Have my fabrics in a container so the room only gets half messed.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Do not give up.

If someone were to tell me their first PP experience went smoothly, I would not believe them. It's an incredibly a$$ backwards kind of technique - which I now happen to love.

My first block, about 10 years ago, was one of Carol Doak's 50 Fabulous stars. It took 2 hours. TWO FREAKING HOURS.

And you haven't yet put together your top ....wait until you see the "mess" when you start removing the paper.

I do feel your pain.;) ;)
    You can avoid the removing paper step! : http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21
    So much easier! And templates don't shift, can be reused many times.
    she makes it look easy, but in reality, you have be super precise to NOT sew on the paper. and each template only lasts about 3 blocks. so you have to stop and make MORE templates....

Paper piecing is like any thing else..you have to take in small steps ANd you can remove the paper from the block before putting the quilt together, simply stay stitch the outer 1/8" of the block and then spray it with sizing after the paper is gone and PRESS it with no stretching.

I did my first this morning I only did 1/8th of the block, took me an hour and a half, its one of those BOM, thought it would be quicker than that, but the eighth of a block looks pretty, the seam ripper was my friend this morning. i hope it gets easier

Thanks for this! I am considering making a pp Pond Pals quilt for my daughter who just found out she's expecting her first baby! After more than 3 years of trying they finally found the formula & we are all so excited! This will make it doable for a novice like me to have some success with this totally adorable pattern from a 2008 Quiltmaker's Favorites magazine from my "library". <3!

I love to paper piece.Everything comes out and looks great.I think that it does take a take a little longer to do but every square comes perfect.

I had an experienced quilter demonstrate her method of PP to me... she uses Swedish Tracing Paper to trace the pattern on and you don't have to rip it off.

With all your wonderful talent, Polly, I'm sure you'll find a system that works for you. It is a messy technique for sure. I keep a wastebasket handy.

So what are you working on now?

Cynthia

I take pattern ease and put it through my printer to get the designs and then go to sewing and I don't rip the pattern ease off when I am done it just stays. It is something I learned from the Dear Jane Quilt.

Blog Entries
    Have tried one wallhanging size project, and a few simple blocks ... but just
    can't get the hang of doing everything upside down/backwards. However,
    the prefectionist in me admires other quilter's work.

Blog Entries
    These are the 1st seven blocks in the Jinny's Garden pp quilt. Have some mistakes but I can live with all so far except for the flat tops on the crocus. I am going to correct it at some point. If you haven't see this quilt it has 4 blocks in the middle that have yellow and golds, the rest of the blocks I am using reds. Jinny used purples in her quilt. Will keep you posted as I go along.

Jinny's garden 1st 7 blocks
    Name:  Attachment-130410.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  43.6 KB

I love PP and have been doing it for years. Years ago I made a full size Quilt all Paper pieced including the boarders. Use a smaller stitch when PP trears out a little easyer and some people spray the paper with water to get the paper off

You are not the only one I just do not like pp. I think I have a mental block for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by almostfree
    I just don't get it! I have watched and looked at so many tutorials for this, but it doesn't make any sense to me! Am I the only one?

I've been working on a pp mini. I had explanations and demos from the experienced ladies at my bee group. I still get confused but I'm ripping out less as I get better. How do I handle the bulk in the junctions? My sewing machine gets stuck when I try to sew over the seams.

Blog Entries
    Relax and let the mess pile up. All you have to do is vacuum yourself off when you're done! lol

Quote Originally Posted by almostfree
    I just don't get it! I have watched and looked at so many tutorials for this, but it doesn't make any sense to me! Am I the only one?
    I don't get it either. It looks like way too much effort for me. I guess my points are good enough for me just using templates.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    I started the Jinny's Garden paper pieced quilt pattern yesterday and just finished the 6th block. (It is 1:00 pm) I am exausted and I have the worst mess you have ever seen. Paper, Paper and scraps, scraps everywhere. Is there a neat way to do this?
    Normally I try to keep my sewing space tidy but when I'm really into a PP proj. I just love the scattered mess. All of those little, colorful pcs. can usually be used somewhere. If they're too sm. for anywhere, they go into the wastebasket. Removing all that paper is a project all of its own. Don't worry about the mess. Just clean it up occas. if it really bothers you. You will be so happy with your finished project.

I had a very difficult time paper piecing last year in a class I took. Everyone else was on 2 or 3 blocks ahead of me and I was on the first one. It just seems backward to me. I picked up my pattern again abt 2 weeks ago, and just the point part of the project took me almost one and a half hours. at that rate, if i tried to do a New York Beauty block and make a quilt, I would say about 5 years in the making. I find it beautiful, precise but very frustrating bec. I feel I am backward when doing it. I think it just takes practice and patience.

I love paper piecing. There was a learning curve at first, but I finally got comfortable with it. I love how the blocks looked. They were 6" blocks and some were very involved, never could have done it as well with the paper piecing.

The method that Kitsie referenced looks to involved if every block is different.

Blog Entries
    I have a waste basket that sits on one side of me, and a crumb bag on the other, with a thread catcher cup next to the machine. I complete the whole unit of PP, then hold it with both hands, over the trash, and rotate my hands as if I am pedaling them. Paper tears itself loose, and falls in the trash. Pull off the last few bits, and go to the iron to press. Square done.

Thanks for posting pictures.
    Going to to beautiful.I like your color choices.
    Gale

I did some PP cardinals. it took over 2 hours for each block, start to finish. I got so i was not ripping out every other seam-more like every 4th seam.
    they turned out pretty good IMHO. they do have a lot of mistakes though. i do like it and will definately do more PP. I would like to make a point-there are different methods of PP. the methods where you don't tear out the paper is not the same as Foundation Paper Piecing. Isn't that English Paper Piecing? someone correct me if I'm wrong. Personally, I think that method is more difficult.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast