Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Paper Piecing is Exausting

Pollyv9- i forgot to say YES i thought it was a very messy project. Scraps of fabric, slips of paper, threads everywhere!!! I did keep a scraps bucket nearby and a wastebasket too! it's messy, but oh so beautiful when done. I love your blocks. your quilt will be beautiful when finished.

Me neither no matter how many times I look I just don`t get it.What is wrong with me ?

Here's the link that someone posted yesterday(?). It seems like a great way to do this as I've been having some trouble pp but can generally do it. I'm going to try this but am a bit apprehensive about cutting the seams when she does.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2gK...eature=related

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TXyankee
    I've been working on a pp mini. I had explanations and demos from the experienced ladies at my bee group. I still get confused but I'm ripping out less as I get better. How do I handle the bulk in the junctions? My sewing machine gets stuck when I try to sew over the seams.
    Anytime my machine 'bogs down' over thick areas,I just turn the wheel by hand so I do not break needles or thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Quote Originally Posted by peggymunday
    I realize it's "paper" piecing, but I like to trace the pattern onto a lightweight fabric like muslin (just lay the fabric over the pattern and copy with pencil) and then use it like the paper pattern. No need to tear away and it gives the piece more stability without being too thick. It made for quick work for some TUIT's that I did for a women's meeting at the church. I made 16 of these in just a couple of days.
    But that's one continuous pattern. You start and keep going around, and there aren't different sections that need to meet up in the center.

The first freezer paper PP I did was in a class and we did a Mariner's compass. Turned out perfect. And it was so easy once I got started.

Which is why I always say that there are many PP techniques, but not all work for all PP situations. So it's good to learn them as many as possible as each has its pros and cons.

For example, I would never do a complicated Mariner's Compass using muslin foundation.

I shiver just thinking about the extra bulk. But your example, or a string quilt, sure, without hesitation.

Or I've even used the Benartex NYBeauty pre-printed muslin foundations - but that's because there aren't points matching up with other points.

The term paper piecing is almost used generically.I think all these comments cover "foundation" piecing. And then it's your choice of the foundation and method.

Dee
    Tried it once and don't know if I'll do it again.

Personally, I love paper piecing because it makes your blocks so accurate. FYI, if you have Fons & Porter's current series of quilting shows on your PBS station, Marianne & her daughter, Mary, have been doing a couple of shows featuring paper piecing. One is episode 1706 "Perfect Flying Geese" & the other is 1707 "Pineapple Salsa". The whole series will be available to buy on DVD in a few months. You might check with your local PBS station to see if & when they are showing Fons & Porter.
    Mary Louise in OKC :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mloquilts
    Personally, I love paper piecing because it makes your blocks so accurate. FYI, if you have Fons & Porter's current series of quilting shows on your PBS station, Marianne & her daughter, Mary, have been doing a couple of shows featuring paper piecing. One is episode 1706 "Perfect Flying Geese" & the other is 1707 "Pineapple Salsa". The whole series will be available to buy on DVD in a few months. You might check with your local PBS station to see if & when they are showing Fons & Porter.
    Thank you for this. I don't find "Fons & Porter" listed under PBS. Do they have another name for their show?

Blog Entries
    I love paper piecing but it does have some waste fabric. Also when you start pulling the paper out it is messy. I will put up with that for perfect points!! :lol:

I don't know of any other name for their show. You might call your Public TV station to see if they carry it. Ours here in Oklahoma City is on Sat. morning at 8am. One thing I forgot to mention before is that they featured a product that they use to put the pattern on that is fairly transparent & that will wash away so that you don't have to tear away any paper. Is that clear as mud? :roll: I have recorded their Pineapple Salsa show & can look at it again to see what the product is & where to get it. Definitely I plan to get some before I try another paper piecing project.
    ML in OKC

Blog Entries
    Paper piecing is worth all the trouble.....or at least I thinks so. :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceil
    Quote Originally Posted by mloquilts
    Thank you for this. I don't find "Fons & Porter" listed under PBS. Do they have another name for their show?
    "Love of Quilting" is the name of the show.

I just started doing paper piecing and love the outcome.
    I still have a lot more to do but am getting a good start.
    I started on Carol Doaks patterns and want to do enough to do a different block for each one.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf3349
    I started on Carol Doaks patterns and want to do enough to do a different block for each one.
    I rented Carol Doak's video from Smartflix and she made it easily understandable. She has lots of free patterns both on her site and in her Yahoo group.

When I paper piece I have a mess knee deep, but sure do enjoy the out come of the entire process ... lol

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Paper piecing is ... well ... an interesting and precise method of piecing. Several things that helped me with this method were: use the water soluble paper, use a 1/4 inch ruler made for this method, and measure the area you are working on and cut a piece of fabric that is at least 3/4 inch larger all the way around. It does take practice and can be tedious but you can also get into a groove once you get going with a pattern. And for me at least, I cannot get any better precision on points and such without this method. But as with any method, it is probably not for everyone.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4