Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piecing is Exausting >

Paper Piecing is Exausting

Paper Piecing is Exausting

Old 02-26-2011, 07:50 AM

What does TUIT stand for?
Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 AM

Notice it is round and you give it to someone when they say they'll do someting when they get a round to it thus a round tuit.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:07 AM

The best way is to organize. Cut the strps to size 3/4 in larger then you need. I go over the pattern with a large unthreaded needle exactle where the seams are. You can do as many as 10 pieces at a time. This make the ripping out the paper so easy and you don't have a huge mess of little pieces. Also try to chain piece. Do the same color on each block, like chain piecing. These are some of the things that have helped me.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:18 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by peggymunday
No, it isn't a continuous pattern for the TUIT, it's 3 seperate pieces. But it really didn't create much bulk having the foundation out of muslin instead of tear away paper. Here's the free pattern from Paper Panache if anyone would like it. It offers 2 different sizes, mine is the 7.25"
http://www.paperpanache.com/free/guestpats/atuit.htm
Ah, because of the letters. I wasn't even seeing them.
I was looking at it as a dodecagon, and thinking that it would make a really cool mug rug. ;)
Old 02-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

I am also working on this and have 6 blocks to go. It almost seems that each block gets a little more difficult. But keep telling myself it's going to be a beautiful quilt. Have my fabrics in a container so the room only gets half messed.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Originally Posted by MTS
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Do not give up.

If someone were to tell me their first PP experience went smoothly, I would not believe them. It's an incredibly a$$ backwards kind of technique - which I now happen to love.

My first block, about 10 years ago, was one of Carol Doak's 50 Fabulous stars. It took 2 hours. TWO FREAKING HOURS.

And you haven't yet put together your top ....wait until you see the "mess" when you start removing the paper.

I do feel your pain.;) ;)
You can avoid the removing paper step! : http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21
So much easier! And templates don't shift, can be reused many times.
she makes it look easy, but in reality, you have be super precise to NOT sew on the paper. and each template only lasts about 3 blocks. so you have to stop and make MORE templates....

Paper piecing is like any thing else..you have to take in small steps ANd you can remove the paper from the block before putting the quilt together, simply stay stitch the outer 1/8" of the block and then spray it with sizing after the paper is gone and PRESS it with no stretching.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:55 AM

I did my first this morning I only did 1/8th of the block, took me an hour and a half, its one of those BOM, thought it would be quicker than that, but the eighth of a block looks pretty, the seam ripper was my friend this morning. i hope it gets easier
Old 02-26-2011, 12:34 PM

Thanks for this! I am considering making a pp Pond Pals quilt for my daughter who just found out she's expecting her first baby! After more than 3 years of trying they finally found the formula & we are all so excited! This will make it doable for a novice like me to have some success with this totally adorable pattern from a 2008 Quiltmaker's Favorites magazine from my "library". <3!
Old 02-26-2011, 03:10 PM

I love to paper piece.Everything comes out and looks great.I think that it does take a take a little longer to do but every square comes perfect.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:18 PM

I had an experienced quilter demonstrate her method of PP to me... she uses Swedish Tracing Paper to trace the pattern on and you don't have to rip it off.