Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper piecing??? I'm now even more confused!

I finally did a search to try and find out what paper piecing is.... and now I'm even more confused. It looks incredibly complicate - whatever the technique really is - I couldn't figure it out!

If anyone would like to, please feel free to try to explain it to me in a nutshell. :shock:

Here is a link to a tutorial on paper piecing.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-102813-1.htm

Blog Entries
    the print side is up, on the pattern the fabric back is to the underside so when you turn it over the fabric right side is on the bottom of the paper. make sure you have the 1/4 inch over each line, easy to check with folding on the line your going to sew, sew line 1 to two and 2-3 and so forth, i went to caroldoak.com and learned and when i was stuck i went to my lqs for help.
    hope i made sense
    Sandra

I suggest do Google searches, go to youtube, just keep learning. Then find a nice simple star and try it! I love it but was afraid to try my first block. Warning: It makes a mess of little scraps and papers and strings, and more scraps. . . .

Ok, tell me seriously - is it really worth all the effort? Or is it really necessary to get some complicated patterns?

Blog Entries
    I love making Flying Geese with the paper piecing method. I also make more complicated designs. See my avatar. Your points are always prefect.

I think I'll have to find a youtube tute - I really need a visual on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    Ok, tell me seriously - is it really worth all the effort? Or is it really necessary to get some complicated patterns?
    Yes if you are wanting perfect points! It is messy and I have a lot of waste but it is worth it for the end product.

Here's a youtube tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uaW26igygE

Some people love paper piecing, others detest it. It looks difficult but once you get the hang of it, it's not. It's definitely worth the effort on intricate blocks with a lot of tiny pieces.

I was afraid to paper piece at first and watched videos on you tube and fons and porter. Now I love it. I wish I could pp everything. Lol

I was totally intimidated by paperpiecing at first but now I love it. I had to take a class cause I'm a visual learner. I use the add-a-quarter ruler. If you can take a class, then do it.

Thank you Twisted! I just watched it - it makes a TON more sense now! Amazing technique.

So are there certain patterns that typically "require" it? Would you use it say, for a pinwheel, or just for more complicated patterns?

Thank you Twisted! I just watched it - it makes a TON more sense now! Amazing technique.

So are there certain patterns that typically "require" it? Would you use it say, for a pinwheel, or just for more complicated patterns?
    I wouldn't use it for something as simple as a pinwheel. Carol Doak has some great paper pieced patterns, here's a link to some free patterns on her website. http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php

It would be difficult, if not impossible, to create those blocks using traditional piecing.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Tina, I love PP. It makes perfect points!
    If you ever want to do a Mariner's Compass or New York Beauty it would be perfect.
    But it's good for many many patterns!

I'm a paper piecing addict....give it a try it is definitely worth it! Most either love it or hate it. It makes putting together very intricate blocks and odd shapes very easy and accurate! Good luck!

I love paper piecing. If you're working with tiny pieces of a block, it's soooooooo much easier and precise. Once you understand how to do it, it's really very easy.

You guys are an amazing source of info! Thanks so much - this REALLY helped!!!

I just finished a simple pp project which I absolutely adore! Yes, it's messy, but yes, it's precise. Carol Doak, and others have some very simple and well illustrated informational videos and literature with step by step instructions. Don't let your temporary insanity (confusion :lol: ) sway you from at least trying one simple block. You will become hooked as soon as the light bulb switches to 100 watts. :idea:

Oh yes, I have never purchased the expensive paper made specifically for pp-ing. I just go to a stationary store and pick up a ream of erasable typing paper for about $5.00. Sometimes you can find it at Walmart too.

I kinda like Carol Doake's Lace Star variation star, and the tulip-looking block that's next to the vest.

Now if someone could just give me TIME to try all the things I want to!!!! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    I just go to a stationary store and pick up a ream of erasable typing paper for about $5.00. Sometimes you can find it at Walmart too.
    I didn't think of using special paper - can you use this paper in a printer/copier?

I finally did a search to try and find out what paper piecing is.... and now I'm even more confused. It looks incredibly complicate - whatever the technique really is - I couldn't figure it out!

If anyone would like to, please feel free to try to explain it to me in a nutshell. :shock:
    Try this: No Tears Paper Piecing. This is the ONLY way I do my pp and I paper piece everything I can ( and a bit more!)

http://classicquilter.typepad.com/cl...r-piecing.html

Thanks - bookmarked that one too!

I pp 56 New York Beauty blocks for my quilt. It was the only way to do all those points.

Glad to see you have gotten some good advice and videos to watch. I was intimidated too, but after I got the hang of it, I love, love, love the accuracy of itty-bitty pieces and points. Do I use it all the time? Of course not! I would advise any quilter to learn how to paper piece. It is just one more great option for making wonderful things.

I learned most of the technique from youtube and i also got Carol Doaks book for paper piecing it is really fun and the seams come out beautiful.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast