Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piecing Nightmare- any help? >

Paper Piecing Nightmare- any help?

Paper Piecing Nightmare- any help?

Old 03-28-2019, 03:46 AM

Very nice block and I am glad you stuck with it an worked out the difficulty you were experiencing. I personally like the paper pieced method of doing it.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:47 AM

Susie, love your fabric choice and happy you have figured it out. I have come to like PPing and enjoy the process. I hope you will post more photos of your project along the way.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:03 AM

I've always been afraid of paper piecing. So I'm patting you on the back for at least trying the process! Kudo's to you brave woman!!
Old 03-28-2019, 04:35 AM
j50

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I had a hard time connecting to paper piecing, too. It took me several attempts, and having pieces fit once they were flipped was the most difficult part for me. Then I discovered an easy way to tell if the piece will fit the space! Instead of trying to fold back the piece of fabric on the "seam line", instead fold the paper over the fabric! It's easy to see if the area on the paper falls within the piece of fabric you have placed there! After that discovery, I loved paper piecing.
I do like paper piecing and sometimes it is frustrating for odd size pieces. I do like your tip and will try it next time!!!
Old 03-28-2019, 05:14 AM

Oh SusieQOh, I Love the colors of your block. One thing I do Not do it cut the strips to length. I cut a long strip ; say wof and the correct width. Then start with one end of it and use it in the area I need; flip it press it, Then trim the strip so will be sure that the area is entirely covered. Then if I feel I can't get the cut end of the strip on the next area right, I just square the end off and go again. This way, all is covered, I don't have to over-cut the fabric piece and so very little waste. It's just how I do it. It's worked for me. Gorgeous block btw. I can't wait to see your entire quilt when finished.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-28-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-28-2019, 01:47 PM

Glad you have solved your problem. I love PP but always cut my pieces larger. I very seldom cut the pieces the size the pattern says to. Here is an off center pineapple block that I did with PP.
Attached Thumbnails offcenterpineappleufo2.jpg  
Old 03-28-2019, 02:03 PM

looks great! I think that part of your initial concern is that the pineapple, whether PP or done the "easy way" always looks like it will have a big gap.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:40 PM

Sue, I like that. The pineapple is on my bucket list but I don’t think I want to paper piece it. Here is my first and only attempt at pp and I think I am kind of burnt out for now. I didn’t have a pattern, it was worked up in EQ. I saw a pic and wanted to do it. It’s a take on a Judy Neimeyer pattern. I don’t know if it’s like hers or not. As I said, I saw a pic of a quilt and wanted to make it. Now to see if I can post a pic.[ATTACH=CONFIG]610889[/ATTACH]yea!
Attached Thumbnails 980986d4-1e28-43b8-8208-843096d458d0.jpeg  
Old 03-28-2019, 03:54 PM

Your block is gorgeous! Love the batiks! Keep going....the paper piecing will get easier...it’s not my favorite method, but mostly because I feel like I waste a lot of fabric. Can’t wait to see your completed quilt-whatever size you choose.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:56 PM

Your block looks great, SuzieQOH! Nothing wrong with it, and the fabrics are beautiful together. I'm sure you'll get more comfortable with the technique after you have a few more successes like this.