Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Paper Piecing question

Not a must at all, IMHO. I did paper/foundation piecing for years before the add-a---rulers were conceived, producedand purchased. I, too, like my other rulers to cut the 1/4 inch though again, I also use scissors if it might be quicker. One of the first foundation pieced project was a 3" square with 16 or 17 pieces.

Blog Entries
    i have one but don't always use it... i often use my 6" sq ruler as i have that out when doing my dear jane pp blocks
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    1/4" ruler makes PP a lot easier.

I too took a paper piecing class. The ruler was part of the requirements. The ridge sure makes it nice for cutting = don't have to think. Since then, I've used it and/or any other ruler that seemed right for the moment.

Like most have said, you don't have to have it..... You might try paper piecing without it and maybe borrow one from a friend and see the difference.

The ruler is great. I have the smaller and larger ones and rarely use the larger. I bought them on line.

You can use a regular ruler, but the add-a-quarter has the lip on it that keeps your ruler from slipping. I used to use a regular ruler until it shifted and I cut the block in half. The ruler comes in 6", 12" and there is an add-an-eight for mini's. I wouldn't think of paper piecing without them.

Blog Entries
    It makes it soooo much easier, but it's not necessary. The lip really helps. It's under $10 and well worth the price
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I love paper piecing....it is kind of a no brainer and the add-a-quarter ruler just goes right along with the no brainer theory. I have two lengths in the add a quarter rulers and I use them all of the time. I don't have to think or be real careful.....the rulers are fool proof.

I don't use the add a quarter ruler for that. I can eyeball it good enough & just trim it off. You could use one of the rulers marked with 1/4 inch increments that you already have if you want to or make a template of your own from cardboard or plastic.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

I have to admit (never having seen a PP video) I had NO idea where you would use/need an add-a-quarter ruler. I read "snuggle it up against the paper" and I was thinking that you were working with paper patterns that did not have the 1/4" seam allowance printed on the outside edge. So I went to the video and saw where she is using the add-a-quarter ruler.

I had never considered trimming the seam allowance on the first piece until AFTER I've attached the second piece. IOW ... I sew the seam first then just use scissors to whack off my seam allowance!!

So from my point of view I think it's an extra an unnecessary step.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I've paper pieced quite a few quilts and have always just used my regular ruler and have never had any kinds of problems.

Blog Entries
    I learned to paper piece without the add a quarter ruler. After using the ruler I wouldn't want to paper piece without it. It makes the process easier and fool proof. The only way to know is to use one. The ones that don't have it will say you don't need it. The ones that do have it will say give you a first hand review good or bad.
    Got fabric?

I don' t believe in buying every ruler out there, just the ones that I think I need to get the job done properly. I find that a regular ruler works just fine, and if you get the little dots that go on the back of the ruler to keep it slipping you'll solve that issue, too. MUCH cheaper, less storage needed, etc. Yeah, (sigh) I'm cheap! lol
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

One can do without it but once I bought the ruler I almost always use it. Sometimes if I'm really busy ( spelled b-u-s-y; pronounced l-a-z-y) I may just eyeball trimming a very small section.I do PP with freezer paper folding, not sewing through the paper. It's so easy to line the ruler against the paper edge to trim my piece after sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    It's one of the few gadgets that I would replace if I broke or lost mine. Essential? No. Helpful? Very.
    Agree.
    Annie

I've done it both with and without. I like the ruler in the fact that it has the lip that catches on the paper and you don't have to guess. And you can instantly see if you have enough seam allowance. Sometimes the paper and seams get in the way and you "think" you can make it until it comes of out of the wash with a frayed seam showing. But its like anything else..you can do it without it.
    Last edited by RkayD; 11-04-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    A bed without a Quilt is like a Sky without Stars..Sew On!

You arent the only one !! (SHHHHHHH)
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Don't tell the quilt police, but I just grab my scissors & slice off an approximate "" seam allowance. It doesn't really make alot of difference if you are going to be using the printed line on your paper as your guide, BUT if you want to use the " seam allowance as your guide, the I think that particular ruler would be very helpful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie View Post
    Exactly what I do!
    me too.

I am not an expert but you can use any ruler and measure 1/4" but at the same time if you have the add a 1/4" ruler it does make it easier. I have done both ways.

I do a lot of paper piecing and I think the Add-a-quarter ruler is invaluable. Can you do it without? Sure. You don't need a quarter inch foot, several rotary cutter rulers, or even a seam ripper. But all those tools make the job easier, and you'll find that the cost of the ruler ( which is not that much ) is not where to draw the "I don't need this tool" line!

I have the 1/4" and the 1/8" ones and also the 1/4"-12" long one...love them all and wouldn't be without them.l

Blog Entries
    Thanks!I will watch these
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy Gram View Post
    Actually two and they both used it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2gKMx9CCM

And I just finished watching this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdYS1hzPX1o
    It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves.

I agree with thimblebee...I love to paper piece but just use scissors to cut off the extra material. Also, am making one now that I'm using a thin cheap muslin (or anything really). Draw my patterns on that and after making the piece just leave the fabric in place - NO ripping off paper. Am trying to find something that will help speed up getting the pattern on the material (have been hand drawing on light board) - won't go thru copier like paper. Have fun!

Blog Entries
    I don't use a special ruler and my paper piecing comes out alright.
    Mariah.
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

I use my 18 x 3 ruler and it works just fine. I usually cut 1/2" and trim it off after the blocks are sewn. You are using the guide line on your paper for a seam line anyway. I fine the 1/2" easier to handle, and trim each seam as soon as I get it sewn. Works for me and I love the control the paper piecing gives me over points.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast