Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Paper Piecing question

Paper piecing is my favorite and I always use the add-a-quarter ruler. I think it saves time and the seam is always accurate.

amh
    Thimblebug6000 and I do the same thing. Grab the scissors and slice off 1/4 inch. I also use a rotary cutter and one of my cutting rulers. Many of the gadgets are very helpful and usually save time, but are not really "necessary", just more convenient, and likely faster and more accurate.

For me quilting is the enjoyment of the process. I do become somewhat possessed with sewing blocks together and have to remind myself it is the process that I enjoy, not the number of projects I complete.

amh

I like my add a quarter ruler. But I could do it without it also.
    hevemi told us about freezer paper piecing. You can use ordinary paper, also. You can make up to 20 blocks with the same piece of paper, and never have to rip off any paper. It's called Paperless Paper Piecing, and is very simple. When you fold the paper back on the stitching line, just keep it there and sew on that line against the edge of the paper. Then you can cut off your seam allowance with the ruler or not, and go ahead and fold the next seam back, put on the new fabric and sew against the edge of the paper. We had a demo of this at our September quilt club meeting, and I was quite fascinated by it.

I did a paper pieced bed runner. The add-a-quarter ruler was for me a necessity. It took the guesswork out of having to remember whether I did an extra quarter on this one or that one. It fit perfectly. When you tuck the
    pattern back to cut, put a business card behind it and then fold it. The add-a-quarter rulers abuts right up again the business card and makes the cutting so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
    The add a quarter is essential imho. They are not $$. Are you watching Carol Doaks video.
    I believe Carol Doaks has the best instructions for paper piecing. I watched several different videos and tut's and came up with messes. I absolutely love the way Carol Doaks presents her tutorial. And as for the add a 1/4", not really necessary, but I wouldn't be without it. When I can't find it I panic. I only have a little one, didn't cost much at all. And now paper piecing is what I enjoy and do the most. So as for me and my add a 1/4", I wouldn't be without it. Just makes it so much easier, and I don't slip at all. JMO
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

I've been paper piecing for at least 8 years and I still don't have the add a quarter ruler. I'm not going to get it either.

These blocks came out beautiful and perfect without a special ruler. The whole point of paper piecing is perfect points without worrying about the seam allowance.

Name:  DSCN2664sm.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  78.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Hi Scrappy, I paper piece all the time and though the add a quarter inch rulers aren't essential, they make it so much easier and neater

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I received Carol Doak's paper piecing DVD from my mentor here on the board and bought the 1/4" ruler. It makes paper piecing so much easier. She also uses a postcard that she tapes to her 1/4" ruler. It makes paper piecing go so fast. You might find her on YouTube demonstrating her method. It's awesome!!! I tried paper piecing without the ruler and was discouraged. After watching the DVD, I can paper piece pretty easily. Thanks mentor for the DVD!! You are awesome!!!!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I am new to quilting and I would think that little ruler would be quite helpful. I think I am going to buy one when I find it.

Happy quilting! Annie

You can use a regular ruler but the Add-A-Quarter Ruler makes it so much easier and faster to trim off and make your new seam allowance. I used a regular ruler for many years and then got the Add-A-Quarter Ruler for Christmas last year. Wow, it sure makes a difference for me.

I have been paper piecing for about a year and a half. I don't use any ruler! I just eyeball it and fold the paper, cut off the excess of the prior fabric piece and keep going. I've done hundreds of paper pieced squares. The scrappy quilt that is my avatar is paper pieced. I even made a full size bed quilt that had more than 20 pieces per block.

Blog Entries
    I do a lot of paper piecing. While the add a quarter ruler isn't necessary it is sure nice to have. It makes trimming up the blocks so much easier and faster. I would hate to paper piece without it.

If you plan to do a lot of paper piecing, splurge on the add-a-quarter ruler. You can use any rulerr but the add-a-quarter makes things easier and it's not expensive.

I just completed my first paper pieced block yesterday and used my regular quilting rulers. My block came out great!

I use my regular Quilting ruler as it has a 1/4 inch marking on it.
    Carol in Delaware
    Happy Quilting,
    Carol in De;laware

I bought both sizes. I thought it was a good investment. I do use them all the time for other things as well.
    - Rose

I have practiced with paper piecing too and I never had a 1/4 ruler. Just be careful. No big deal.

I am on my first PP'ing project right now. I did not purchase anything extra. Printed the pattern from the internet, grab my fabrics and thread. Watched a few videos too.

the pattern I am using has the 1/4 lines right there to guide me.
    Renea

A quilting I will go......

www.somethinginthemaking.blogspot.com

I llike paper piecing and have always used a regular ruler for trimming with no problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
    Don't tell the quilt police, but I just grab my scissors & slice off an approximate "" seam allowance. It doesn't really make alot of difference if you are going to be using the printed line on your paper as your guide, BUT if you want to use the " seam allowance as your guide, the I think that particular ruler would be very helpful.
    Haven't read all posts yet but when I did paper piecing they didn't have add-a-quarter rulers. I did the same thing.Works fine.
    TwandasMom

Not necessary, but nice to have. I've done lots of paper piecing with regular rulers.

I use my 6" square that is marked with 1/4 inches, and never have a problem. I feel like the "add on" rulers are not necessary. All of our quilting rulers have the 1/4 inch marks and can be easily used in paper piecing.
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

One of the things that always impresses me about quilters is their ability to do a lot with a little. Most of the tools that are around are great and make quilting easier, but we can do without most of them. I would decide if I'm going to do a lot of pp before I spend my money on the special ruler. That is, unless, you can get it for Christmas
    Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out.
    Renee

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3