Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Paper Piecing should NOT be icky...

I could not use copy paper. Too heavy. If you don't want to buy foundation paper (Carol Doak has some) I found a tablet of Tracing paper in the art department section. I can use in a copier, with a fight, because it is thin. A computer printer works better if you have your pattern on the computer. That is all I use for paper piecing. Never had a problem.

I use copy paper - I fold it on the seam line, use a little wooden presser (my DH made mine out of a dowl (SP?) rod with the end cut off at an angle) you can buy this too it is called a finger presser - anyway and then I use a bottle of water and spritz the paper. I find it pulls of pretty easy and the fabric needs pressed anyway so the dampness from the water is not a problem.
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    you really should use a smaller stitch...to make up the thickness of the paper, once you remove your paper, your stitches will be too large and gaping!
    I've never had a problem with stitches gaping. The blocks have turned out fine.

Such a generous board...thanks, everyone for the good advice... I was especially made aware of the prospect of doing this all at the end and trying to get the seams to lay flat again. I love quilting and nice to know so many others do as well. Off to sew....Granny Dean

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsykeel View Post
    Granny Dean,

Yes, you surely can soak the blocks in warm water. I use copy paper also and it works perfectly well when I soak it. Give it a try, you will be pleased (I hope.) But I recently tried a method I learned on this board from Peckish. She told of folding the paper on the line and stitching right next to it. That way the paper is never attached to the fabric. I do us a bit of glue to hold the pieces I am sewing though. I find that using pins distorts the fabric. Good luck and please share with us a pic of the finished product.

WHOOPS!! I just looked at the post above mine and guess what. It's from Peckish. So you are in good hands now. She is a pro.
    Awww *blush* that was very nice of you to say, Kitsy. I'm not a "pro", unless that's short for "professionally lazy", lol. I was too lazy to pull all those little bits of paper off, so I found an easier way.

Peckish.

I can't thank you enough for your idea. I just finished the blocks for my first pp quilt. Used the stitch on the paper and soaking to get it off at first. Then I tried your method and am hooked on it. What I really like is that I can use the pattern over and over, no waste. I like that a lot. So, keep your ideas coming.
    Kitsy

I think the paper must be too thick. Why not try airmail paper? It is much thinner and should not cause the stitches to pull out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Granny Dean View Post
    My friend and I are working on a spider web string quilt...got the tutorial off of Quiltville. We decided to print the pattern on the copy machine and use that paper as foundation. When we tear out the pieces of paper...the stitches come undone... yes, we shortened the stitches. I am used to using muslin as foundation for string quilts....but since this pattern requires more precision and we feel we need the foundation...can we put the quilt together and then soak off the paper afterwards. Any help would be appreciated...thanks...

Granny Dean
    Go to Craftsy.com and look at the March BOM (there are two differenty blocks demonstrated) It will show how to do a spider web block without paper. I used this method on mine and it came out great. See post "Scrappy! and I like it on this board to see how mine came out.

I noticed the other day in Joann's that there is a foundation paper that when finished, the paper will dissolve in water...nothing easier than that.

Blog Entries
    Just a suggestion, but have you tried folding the paper on the seam b4 you try tearing it? If that doesn't work get a squirt bottle and mist it b4 tearing. Good luck

yes, folding first at the stitching line will help get a clean rip. Just like tearing off a perforated card or whatever.......but I do like the phone book pages too........

I use copy paper a lot and don't have a problem. I have used newsprint and found it works well. One suggestion since you are using muslin as a foundation would be to cut the muslin and freezer the size of your copy paper. Iron muslin to freezer paper and print pattern onto the muslin side. Sew strips to muslin pattern, ha way you have no tearing off to do.

I use tissue paper for paper piecing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Granny Dean View Post
    My friend and I are working on a spider web string quilt...got the tutorial off of Quiltville. We decided to print the pattern on the copy machine and use that paper as foundation. When we tear out the pieces of paper...the stitches come undone... yes, we shortened the stitches. I am used to using muslin as foundation for string quilts....but since this pattern requires more precision and we feel we need the foundation...can we put the quilt together and then soak off the paper afterwards. Any help would be appreciated...thanks...

Granny Dean
    How about FOLDING along a line of stitches (a few times), then running over the folded paper (I use the flat end of my seam ripper). This makes the fold in the paper very sharp, then dampen it just a little. At this point you should be able to tear off the paper (made that mistake before too). Good luck

I do all my paper piecing on tracing paper. It has to be cut to size for copier but it tears off

I think most any paper will do, but you have to make your stitch legnth as small as you can (without running in place)! I use 20 lb. bond because I copy most of my patterns of the internet and I don't have any trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I would moisten the stitching with a cotton swab or cloth, to make it easier. I would be reluctant to want to deal with a whole quilt top all at once, and the pressing that will have to follow to get the seams laying flat again.
    I have never tried this, and it seems like a good idea, but doesn't ink jet ink bleed when wet? I have used phone book pages just recently for the first time, and I love the type of paper because it is a firm foundation and then tears off easily, but I worry about the ink on that, too. It tends to smear off on my hands.

I use copy paper all the time for paper piecing. Sometimes stitches do pull out. Try to pull the seam from either end to make it taut, that helps. Also if you do wet the paper, BEWARE, a lot of copy inks run like crazy and will stain your fabric permanently! I learned this the hard way - black copy ink on ivory fabric. Also, if you can crease or fold the paper against the seam, this will help release it. This is especially easy on seams joining blocks together. Good luck! Paper piecing is not supposed to be icky!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by JJean View Post
    Another option is to use a very light weight non fusible interfacing and not tear it off but leave it in place.
    Thank you, I was wondering about interfacings - just hadn't tried it yet. :-)

Mary
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

I've used printer paper, not the best. Really like the idea of using phone book paper, always alot available and free. Thanks
    Before I speak,let me think first:
    Is it true, is it kind and is it necessary. If not, let it be left unsaid.

I have stopped using paper most of the time I use light weight interfacing "sew in" and just leave it that way and I have found that my block are more square. I like paper piecing alot but this is the only way that I have done it in the last few years, I found it to be the best way after doing Jenny Meyers Moon Glow. Pulling the paper caused it to dissort too much and a light bulb went off and yes it does take some time to trace the pattern but I am so much happier. I hope this helps a bit for you.
    Good luck and happy stitching.
    Johanna S
    Las Vegas, NV

I started PP w/ copy paper, switched to tracing paper and now only use freezer paper. With freezer paper, you first crease all the lines of the block, then press the fabric to the paper. When you sew, you go right next to the fold and never actually sew thru the paper. After each piece is sewn on, you press carefully, without getting the iron on the shiny side. This holds your pieced fabric to your pattern until the whole block is finished. Carefully remove the freezer paper and you can use it over again, sometimes 7 times, before it isn't shiny anymore. You can order freezer paper that will go thru your printer, online. With this method it's not necessary to lessen your stitch length, but I usually stitch w/ 2.5, since I generally have small sections of pattern = 1/2" wide.

When I am making several of the same block, I stack several paper patterns and after removing the thread from the sewing machine I sew along all the sewing lines on the pattern. This adds an extra set of perforation lines which assits in the tearing process. I have actualy used this method to create my extra patterns, instead of photocopying them. I use either copy paper or vellum depending on the intricacy of the pattern.

Blog Entries
    Shorten the stitches even more... if you are using 15 stitches per inch (measure an inch) then go to 18-20 per inch... your stitches shouldnt be breaking, even with copy paper. The *folding* at the seamline helps too. I have used 20 and 22 pound copy pair for hundreds and hundreds of seams and never had the stitches break. How old is your thread? And as someone above said, printer ink will run on light fabric; I wouldnt moisten it.

I read somewhere you could use sandwich paper, the big square kind like tissue paper. It will tear off real easy. Good luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast