Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piecing should NOT be icky... >

Paper Piecing should NOT be icky...

Paper Piecing should NOT be icky...

Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 AM

Peckish.

I can't thank you enough for your idea. I just finished the blocks for my first pp quilt. Used the stitch on the paper and soaking to get it off at first. Then I tried your method and am hooked on it. What I really like is that I can use the pattern over and over, no waste. I like that a lot. So, keep your ideas coming.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:06 AM

I think the paper must be too thick. Why not try airmail paper? It is much thinner and should not cause the stitches to pull out.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Granny Dean View Post
My friend and I are working on a spider web string quilt...got the tutorial off of Quiltville. We decided to print the pattern on the copy machine and use that paper as foundation. When we tear out the pieces of paper...the stitches come undone... yes, we shortened the stitches. I am used to using muslin as foundation for string quilts....but since this pattern requires more precision and we feel we need the foundation...can we put the quilt together and then soak off the paper afterwards. Any help would be appreciated...thanks...

Granny Dean
Go to Craftsy.com and look at the March BOM (there are two differenty blocks demonstrated) It will show how to do a spider web block without paper. I used this method on mine and it came out great. See post "Scrappy! and I like it on this board to see how mine came out.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:26 AM

I noticed the other day in Joann's that there is a foundation paper that when finished, the paper will dissolve in water...nothing easier than that.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:18 AM

Just a suggestion, but have you tried folding the paper on the seam b4 you try tearing it? If that doesn't work get a squirt bottle and mist it b4 tearing. Good luck
Old 04-21-2012, 05:12 AM

yes, folding first at the stitching line will help get a clean rip. Just like tearing off a perforated card or whatever.......but I do like the phone book pages too........
Old 04-21-2012, 05:28 AM

I use copy paper a lot and don't have a problem. I have used newsprint and found it works well. One suggestion since you are using muslin as a foundation would be to cut the muslin and freezer the size of your copy paper. Iron muslin to freezer paper and print pattern onto the muslin side. Sew strips to muslin pattern, ha way you have no tearing off to do.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:34 AM

I use tissue paper for paper piecing
Old 04-21-2012, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Granny Dean View Post
My friend and I are working on a spider web string quilt...got the tutorial off of Quiltville. We decided to print the pattern on the copy machine and use that paper as foundation. When we tear out the pieces of paper...the stitches come undone... yes, we shortened the stitches. I am used to using muslin as foundation for string quilts....but since this pattern requires more precision and we feel we need the foundation...can we put the quilt together and then soak off the paper afterwards. Any help would be appreciated...thanks...

Granny Dean
How about FOLDING along a line of stitches (a few times), then running over the folded paper (I use the flat end of my seam ripper). This makes the fold in the paper very sharp, then dampen it just a little. At this point you should be able to tear off the paper (made that mistake before too). Good luck
Old 04-21-2012, 06:14 AM

I do all my paper piecing on tracing paper. It has to be cut to size for copier but it tears off