Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing tips? >

Paper piecing tips?

Paper piecing tips?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:02 AM

Default Paper piecing tips?

I am really enjoying paper piecing and want to try something a little more advanced such as one of the designs from quiltart. Although I am good at making each section exact the part I sometimes struggle with is ensuring the sections line up when stitched together - does anyone have any tips or words of wisdom for this part?

Ive checked each section carefully and I have always stitched exactly on the lines and trimmed seam allowances according to the printed lines so not sure which bit I am sometimes doing wrong
Old 02-14-2018, 09:14 AM

Don't know what your patterns may suggest, but I struggled with that until I started trimming and removing the paper before sewing sections together. Now I have no problem getting them to line up as I can ease or stretch as needed.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:34 AM

You'll find some good tips from a thread started earlier...

Arcadia Avenue
Old 02-14-2018, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

When matching up sections, I put a pin straight in where lines must meet. I checked it by opening it a bit and if it's perfect, I leave that pin standing straight up and put in pins the regular way on either side, then I remove the straight up one. I ease or stretch the sections between the pins.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
When matching up sections, I put a pin straight in where lines must meet. I checked it by opening it a bit and if it's perfect, I leave that pin standing straight up and put in pins the regular way on either side, then I remove the straight up one. I ease or stretch the sections between the pins.
I do exactly as Tartan described as well. And, when I put the pin in either side I put the it in at an angle so that the vertical pin does not shift.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:07 PM

The pins bit is a great idea - why didn’t I think of that! Macybaby all the patterns I have used so far say to leave the paper in but I will try removing the paper if I struggle next time

Tjat previous thread is also very helpful so thanks

Last edited by RJLinkletter; 02-14-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:52 PM

There is a foundation material available that is something like interfacing. Maybe put out by EQ. It is translucent which is a big help in paper piecing. It comes in sheets that will go through your printer.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:33 PM

If the foundation paper does not have lines imprinted to help with seam alignment, I rip off paper before I sew sections together. Sometimes, I don't sew on paper and just fold back as is taught by a PP guru (I forgot her name). I like Tartan's pin idea...gonna try that..
Old 02-14-2018, 11:39 PM

I have been folding back more recently which hasn't helped but not easy with the paper still in! I only kept it in because of what I had read but I think I will be braver and just take it out earlier if needed
Old 02-15-2018, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I'm new to paper piecing. Excellent Tip! Thanks!