Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piecing-When to remove or not to remove >

Paper Piecing-When to remove or not to remove

Paper Piecing-When to remove or not to remove

Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

you can remove the paper as you work along but the paper should be left until all pieces have been added to it...so as you finish a section and no more has to be added to the outer edges the inside papers can be removed...then when the whole project is pieced (before sandwich and quilting) remove the rest of the paper.
if it is a wall hanging/something that will not be washed; you can leave the papers in for added stability.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by sabrinaquilts
Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
I was taught to remove the paper after the top is assembled, because the paper stabilizes it. So that's what I do, even though I really bad want to pull the paper out as soon as the block is done.
I really want to pull the paper out too especially since I keep coming across conflicting instructions about this step.
Well...you're not really receiving conflicting info. here. We're all saying the same thing.
No, you are right. I am not really receiving conflicting information here on this board. I was referring to the magazines and pattern books I had referred to in my first entry on page one. I guess the word "conflicting" might be implying wrongly but that is how I feel when I read instructions on how to paper piece foundation one way and another source says to do it this way. That was why I started this to find out from others who had done more which was the best way. I had discovered for somethings, there are the way things are done in the real world and then there are the way things are done by the expert world. And to get tips.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
As with most anything, there is no set rule. Do what works for you. I happen to remove when I finish a block. I tried leaving the paper on with one of my doll quilts and had a dickens of a time getting all the litte bits of paper from in between the seams out. Yes, I used more stitches to the inch so the perforations made it easier to tear, but it was a mess at the seams. I am no expert and have not done a large PP quilt so my opinion is probably not worth the paper it is written on. :roll:
For the first block I did what you did. I removed the paper because the instructions said so. I ran into the same problems as you did. I wondered if there was a better way and I wondered about the fabrics being unstable from stretching because no attention to the fabric's grain was heeded. That was when I came across instructions that was a little different. So I wondered which was the best way?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
you can remove the paper as you work along but the paper should be left until all pieces have been added to it...so as you finish a section and no more has to be added to the outer edges the inside papers can be removed...then when the whole project is pieced (before sandwich and quilting) remove the rest of the paper.
if it is a wall hanging/something that will not be washed; you can leave the papers in for added stability.
That is a very good idea. I will look to see if my Mariner's Compass version has sections that I can remove now. It will help tame my itch to remove. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sabrinaquilts
My common sense told me the same thing, but I did read somewhere to remove the paper after you've finished sewing the pieces on the foundation and before sewing the blocks together. I think it might have to do with the inconvenence of removing the paper when the project is so large in a pieced top. I guess.
I do lots of paper piecing and always remove the paper after each section of a full pattern is done then sew the whole block together. It's way to hard to do it at the end of the project