Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
paper templates  HELP!!!! >

paper templates HELP!!!!

paper templates HELP!!!!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:10 AM

save all your plastic can lids,bacon packaging etc and if you punch a hole in the center with a hole punch you can pin thru the hole to fabric and it holds and can be used forever.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:11 PM

I do allot of applique and use freezer paper and quilter's plastic template sheets. However, I also have used any cardboard at hand. I also have re-used plastic templates by just re-cutting them to another shape. I have a plastic sandwich baggie (zip lock) of just various sizes of leaves which I can re-use for different quilts as well as a baggie for circles, various animals, and geometric shapes which I don't re-cut, just re-use as-is. My first quilt was done with cardboard I got from a friend's store-she saved the cardboard that new shirts are wrapped around. I still have those pieces! Joann's also uses cardboard to wrap FQ's around, so I save those. There are endless possibilities of free things to use. IF using cardboard, be careful to keep checking it's accuracy, as continually tracing around a shape can altar it slightly. I usually cut a few of the same size and shape if the pattern calls for many of the same piece and just toss the worn one. Paper juice cartons, old manilla file folders, in fact, any plastic or cardboard packaging can be used. I am always thinking of ways to re-use stuff instead of just tossing it out.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

If you can afford to buy some graph paper - cut/draw the approximate size that you want on it - then paste it on to some plastic lids (or whatever you can find) - and then cut it to exact size.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:43 PM

All good ideas, but I am sick of saving junk; just something else to store. I am trying to purge stuff that I don't use. And I am trying to cut down on my dish washing ie, bacon plastic.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
All good ideas, but I am sick of saving junk; just something else to store. I am trying to purge stuff that I don't use. And I am trying to cut down on my dish washing ie, bacon plastic.
i can see your point, but saving a certain amount of something you know you can use and WILL use, just means a little organization. I love the sandwish baggies in a shoe box marked "templates"-it only takes a bit of storage space. Saving stuff doesn't mean hoarding. Many of these items can be replenished regularly (margarine lids, milk cartons, cardboard etc), so a small amount is all you need for each project.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:41 PM

I use freezer paper. You iron onto the fabric and then cut - no shifting! Good luck!
Old 07-31-2010, 05:02 PM

The best thing is FREEZER PAPER I still use it a lot and so do a lot of applique people. And for some designe's only freezer paper will work....
Old 07-31-2010, 05:13 PM

Is the freezer paper you are talking about from a grocery store or something special from a fabric store?
Old 07-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Dee

I have used paper, freezer paper and cereal boxes. Also the meat containers.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:43 PM

I purchased several metal washers at Home Depot. They have a hole in the center that can also be used for smaller circles.
the washers come in several different sizes. These home improvement type stores have lots of things we can use. Just takes a little imagination. Sometimes I have been known to have too much of it!Oh well.......I like to call it being creative and artistic !!!