Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Which part of the process do you enjoy the most?

I enjoy everything...except cutting and binding.

NE California - no where near the Bay Area!
    I love the whole process except for cutting out the pieces. That part causes me some stress and leaves my hand hurting from holding the ruler straight and my other wrist from holding the rotary cutter. Binding in probably my most favorite part because it means I'm almost done!!

All of it. But mostly giving it to the person it was made for.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

I like sewing all the pieces together and seeing the pattern emerge. I can feel a sense of relaxation come over me when I set at the sewing machine. My least favorite part is probably the actual cutting. I find it tedious. The part that makes me the most nervous is choosing the fabric. I have a hard time trusting myself w hen it comes to value, etc.I, too, love sewing on the binding, even though I am not a big fan of handwork!
    Deanne Ellen

Quilts,Books,and Wine,Oh My!

Buying fabrics! Me too. That's my favorite part then I hate to cut them.

Blog Entries
    Finishing.

I am always amazed at how much better the finished quilt looks than I thought it would. All those imperfections during the process are lost, and I can admire the end product to my heart's content!

Putting the fabric together and see what it looks like is the part I like, but when the quilt is all finished and done completely then I love it and feel I did good. LOL
    learn each and every day,memories or play.

I love all of it. Its my time to just relax and enjoy. I can only quilt after my babies are in bed so its a nice way to end the day. I also love when I can go shopping for fabric, I don't get to go shopping alone often so its always nice when my hubby watching the kids and I can go wander the LQS and pick new fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
    I love machine sewing appliqué and FM quilting.

I HATE hand sewing of any kind but do sew binding on quilts (but not wall-hangings - machine). I also hate rotary cutting, but not appliqué shapes.
    ME Too!

"what does Lang may yer lum reek" mean???

Blog Entries
    I love the planning because I get to pull out my fabrics and my inner 5 year-old gets to play with color pencils and grid paper.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Piecing is my favourite; quilting is my least favourite. Ironing falls somewhere in the middle.
    Last edited by Canada Kate; 03-20-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: typo
    1951 Singer 301A - "Jean"
    1958 Singer Featherweight - "Verna"
    2009 Janome 4100QDC - Nameless

My favorite parts are finding the right fabrics that go together, piecing the top and seeing how it comes together and finding the person that particular one is just right for. The sandwiching, quilting and binding are ok and part of the process, but are more of a chore to get done than an exciting adventure.

Choosing a pattern to work with the fabric I already have and learning a new technique.

I love the piecing part best.. my world changed when I discovered Long Arm professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraTX View Post
    I love the piecing part. When the top is done, it languishes in the closet. But when I finally get one quilted, I enjoy sewing the binding on.
    What part do you enjoy the most?
    Same favorites here. Love to cut the pieces, do the piecing, and then the binding. If someone would do the sandwiching and the quilting it would be OK with me. Sandwiching is the pits.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I love it all! I usually have several projects, in various stages so I can work on something that strikes my fancy for the moment.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    for me it is the total PROCESS...from designing, to piecing, quilting and binding- the process of creating- the end result is a bonus (or not) but the process of creation is what keeps me going
    I agree with ckcowl. There is something about the whole process that I like. Perhaps it is just the challenge of trying to improve my skills in each area, although I have to say that I really get a kick out of the designing phase and of course fabric shopping!

Blog Entries
    I've decided I'm a block maker. When I get to the point where I have to add borders I tend to set it aside till "later." I can't tell you how many finished blocks I have waiting to be sewn together and how many tops that just need borders added. But then I also have quite a few finished tops that need to be quilted. Guess I have them in all stages of progress.

Blog Entries
    Fondling the fabrics!!!!!

I enjoy every step, from buying the fabric to sewing on the binding, and I love hand work.

It's the hand quilting I like the best, but I do enjoy piecing and applique (by hand).

When I first began, I loved the cutting! Just loved using the ruler and the cutter and the mat, and seeing those strips and squares and pieces accumulate. Now I don't like cutting as much but I still like piecing. I think I'd love quilting if I was more confident about it. I handquilted my first quilt and am in the middle of handquilting another (I've been very slow about this one because I do other things instead) but have quilted only mugrugs, wall hangings and a table topper on my DSM. I'm going to attempt a throw size when I learn more about the Brother Innov'is NX450Q that I got for Christmas.

Best part is picking/buying the fabrics. Second is sewing the tops. Scared of the quilting, and haven't mastered the binding.

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaS View Post
    I enjoy everything...except cutting and binding.
    I'm with you on the binding!

Favorite is designing, and close second is getting it all DONE! LOL

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast