Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Which part of the process do you enjoy the most?

I like binding the best, probably because it's that final completion. My least favorite part is sandwiching- which seems silly since I spray baste, but I usually need a little help holding the parts, and it's not always easy to find help when I need it.
    I'm also not fond of cutting, especially if it's expensive fabric, I'm so worried about making a wrong cut. The house has to be totally quiet if I'm going to cut fabric from LQS. Other fabric,I'm not as worried about.

I just love making quilts all the different steps, but I love the look on someone's face that I get one of my quilts to. Last fall I gave my three sister a quilt each. I could not believe the smiles and hugs for the quilts they gave to me and their quilts. My kids and grandkids too. Happy day when I give family and friends a quilts or a guilted items.

My favorite part is the challenge of seeing a picture of a quilt in a magazine or pattern envelope and making it happen! Probably the hardest part for me is fabric choice because there are too many choices. I always pull out my intended choices and stack them up as they will appear in the blocks and look at them for a day or two-change them if I think I should and then cut. I like the whole process and I like to try different ways of doing things. I just finished a top for a grandson-age 18. It is in 3 vertical sections which I plan to quilt individually and then assemble as a whole, a QASG method. I like new ideas and methods-some I only do once!

Blog Entries
    Paying Carol to quilt it on her long arm machine.

I love the piecing part the best. I hand quilt all my quilts, but it is the part of the process I like the least.

I like piecing best but I do finish them once I start them. No sticking away for later.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraTX View Post
    I love the piecing part. When the top is done, it languishes in the closet. But when I finally get one quilted, I enjoy sewing the binding on.
    What part do you enjoy the most?
    I agree with all you say, I put off quilting for ages, especially on large quilts but love putting on the binding.
    Anniehug

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Coming up with the design. The next one is for my granddaughter who is taking up graphic design. So would like to do something along those lines. Thinking Bargello with her favorite colors.

I love the whole process as well, but far and away my FAVORITE part is when I give it to someone. I just LOVE that moment. I think it's the major reason I quilt.

Blog Entries
    It is a tolal experience, but I probably like hand sewing the binding the best. Maybe I should try needle turned applique.

Now I like everything about quilting. When I started quilting, I liked binding best because I love handsewing and once the binding and label were on, my quilt was complete. There were times when I did not likie making the quilt sandwich, times when I thought making the backing was no fun, and times when I was quilting and wishing I had sent that quilt to the LAQ. Now, I enjoy everything about quilting. I had always enjoyed things like pressing and cutting the fabric, piecing, etc. thanks to this Board and Craftsy classes, I have learned how to do the things I once disliked and now, I so enjoy everything about quilting although I still send about half of my quilts to the LAQ. Thanks to all of you who helped me to learn so much about how to quilt!

I like piecing the best.

I like the piecing too. I like to see if I can actually do it. I have several tops waiting to be quilted and have decided that I must get some done before I start any more. We'll see if that works. I'm a great starter and a poor finisher.

I love the quilting part. It's the most relaxing for me. I have a big issue with picking fabrics and patterns. Just too many of both and my brain goes crazy. So when the quilt is on the frame ready to be quilted, the stress is over. One day I hope to be able to look at fabric and know just what to do with it.

I enjoy everything except planning the quilting design. I want something to compliment my work, and I am afraid if I pick something wrong it will ruin all of my work!

Just walking in a store, seeing a piece of fabric and my mind immediately sees a quilt finished. Since It is not that easy I do enjoy piecing the quilt

Quote Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
    It's fun to put the fabrics together and create the blocks. That's probably my favorite part.
    Honestly enjoy hand sewing the binding... cause I know it's done!
    I am right there with you!! I sew the binding on the front by machine, on the back by hand, sitting on the sofa with my feet up and cuddled by the quilt. Ahhhhhhhhhh. Just a little bit of heaven!

Hands down...buying the fabric.

I enjoy cutting, piecing and binding. All three are ok as long as I can do all the cutting at once, all the sewing at once, etc. I don't want to have to cut a few and then sew a few.

My favorite part is hand sewing down the binding. I really don't like putting on the borders, don't know why but I can't tell you how many tops I have put away in the closet that needs the borders put on. I tell my hubby I'm not sure what size I want the quilt to finish at so it stays that way till I decide. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL
    It's always sunny here in Fl unless it's raining,LOL

I live in Wooster, Ohio but am in Florida for 3 months
    I enjoy it all---that's why I have 3 quilts going at once. 1 in planning--1 being pieced--and one in the hoop hand quilting.

I love it all, but the most exciting and creative part for me is pulling the fabrics and planning the design. I don't use patterns, per se, but plan my own quilts from my ideas or inspiration from other quilts. The second most fun part is planning the quilting design once the quilt is ready for quilting.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm just now quilting my first "big" project (after making a tablerunner to familiarize myself with the process). I'm surprised to find myself really enjoying the quilting. Aside from wrestling with the fabric, I find the process very satisfying.

For me, the scariest/hardest part is choosing fabrics and putting them together in the pattern. I do not have very good color sense so I always worry I'm going to make something ugly.

Blog Entries
    Putting all the pieces together. I guess the creation of a finished quilt top.
    TxCaRose

Love binding save a bunch for nice weather sit outside and hand sew binding to the back maybe enjoy an adult beverage

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast