Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pass the burn creame I'm making binding strips... >

Pass the burn creame I'm making binding strips...

Pass the burn creame I'm making binding strips...

Old 12-23-2012, 06:02 PM

I keep lavender essential oil handy for burns. It is applied sparingly and works immediately to soothe the burn. It also lessens the severity of the burn.

Laurie
Old 12-23-2012, 06:11 PM

This is solved very easily - stop ironing your binding!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t198277.html
Old 12-25-2012, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I have used one. Begin with a pin without plastic head and attach to ironing board on right side.with theiron up point up to the thingy pull slowly with left hand. It works for me . Reverse if you are left handed.
I agree here!! I have one!! It works once you get it working but pin method Just as quick and effective!!
Old 12-25-2012, 08:41 AM

never had a problem but I have naturally strong nails so they protect my fingers...almost sewed thru one, once, before the 'purple thang' and a porcipine quill.

the people I sew with often give me something to press and even something to sew that is tiny. Probably because my close vision is great, anything past two feet is a cotton candy blur.

or they may just be being kind to a little old white haired greatgrandma.

ok, that is my comedy routine for today, have a great
Holiday everyone XOXO <3
Old 12-25-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by kimv44 View Post
I've looked at those machines that make and iron binding strips for you... they advertise "no more burnt fingers!" but the reviews are not that good.

Anyone have luck with them?

The best advice I ever got on this board was NOT TO PRESS BINDING STRIPS. It's really easier to make the binding, press the joins, and then just fold as you sew. I never really had a problem ironing the binding, but I love dropping that step in the binding process. After the binding is sewn down on one side of the quilt, I press it and turn it to the other side. Works beautifully.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:15 PM

I do like my Simplicity binding machine, but now I am intrigued with the new version that does piping.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:35 PM

Are we talking binding or bias because there is a big difference. If we're talking binding how do you burn your fingers? If your talking bias I totally get it. But once I bought bias strips it alleviated a lot of problems.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

Hey. have you tried the way I learned? right here on the QB. never iron my binding any more and it turns out great IMHO.

After you cut the binding and sewed the strips together, just fold the binding in half as you sew it to the quilt. never have to fight with a binding any more!
peace
Old 12-25-2012, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i do not have one of those machines= been making bindings for many years--i've never burned my fingers doing it-unless it was the 1/4" bias strips for stained glass & even then not much- i'm not sure what i might do that's different- i just am not sure how/why a person burns their fingers doing it...sorry- maybe try one of those (ov-gloves) there are some other protective items that are probably much less expensive than one of the machines that may or may not work for you.
I'll bet you don't use steam. That's what makes the difference for me. If I don't use steam for doing a job like this where I have to hold the fabric as I press, then I don't burn myself. If I do use steam, I burn myself every time.

Don't get me wrong - I use steam for lots of other stuff, just not when I'm holding something really close to the iron.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:31 PM

Best thing I have found for burns is A & D Ointment that you use on baby bottoms....it keeps you
from getting blisters if you apply it right away. I do binding the old fashion way.