Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Passport Purses >

Passport Purses

Passport Purses

Old 10-03-2021, 06:28 AM

Default Passport Purses

I have an old, pleather passport purse that I love to use when traveling. In fact, I use it as my everyday wallet, even when I'm not traveling. It holds my passport, credit cards, a little cash, my phone and sunglasses. It's on a long strap that can be worn over the shoulder, to keep it close to my body for security reasons.

Now, I have a new phone, which is bigger than my old one and alas, it won't fit in my current purse. I think that I'll make a new one. I've seen some patterns out there and I have lots of scraps, including some thin leather. I think that it will be cute, but I don't have much time to get it done before my upcoming trip. Has anyone else ever made one? Got any tips? Here's the pattern that I'm looking at using: https://sewverycrafty.com/free-diy-p...allet-pattern/

Last edited by tropit; 10-03-2021 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:35 AM

I don't have any Pelon, I no longer have a fabric store nearby and I don't have much time to make this. What else could I use besides Pelon? Heavy canvas?
Old 10-03-2021, 06:40 AM

I'm also thinking of just taking apart my pleather wallet and salvage the parts, such as the credit card holders, strap, swivel, zipper, etc.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:41 AM

I used heavy canvas in a purse once, and it shrunk really bad when I washed it. If you use that, wash it and shrink it in a hot dryer a couple times before using it.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:00 AM

I'm not impressed with the diy lady's wallet. Design may be OK, but her Sewing skills leaves alot to be desired. She didn't press and her topstitching is not consistent. The photo looks like it needs better interfacing. Im quite sure you can make a beautiful wallet with this pattern, or Google some others. Canvas is a good choice, but do wash and dry as suggested. I know you will do a great job.....quilters know how to piece and use a precise 1/4 inch! Best wishes.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:04 AM

I made this cross body bag, and now it is my go-to fishing boat bag! I accidentally put in the outside zipper lined up with the side instead of the top, so I turned the "rectangular body" fabric a quarter turn and made the side into the top! It actually works better for me that way.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
I made this cross body bag, and now it is my go-to fishing boat bag! I accidentally put in the outside zipper lined up with the side instead of the top, so I turned the "rectangular body" fabric a quarter turn and made the side into the top! It actually works better for me that way.
That's a good idea. I never liked cross body bags because of their shape. My stuff doesn't seem to fit in them well. But if I turned it, it would be great. Thanks!

My only problem with the all in one wallets is that if someone does get your wallet, they have your passport, money, credit cards and all your identification. I had my wallet stolen long ago and learned the hard way to keep my ID, credit cards and money in separate places in my purse. That way if you lose one, you don't lose everything.

Another hint is to make copies of all your ID and credit cards and keep them in a separate location. That way you can come up with the numbers and images if things are stolen. Be sure to copy both front and back of all of it.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 10-03-2021 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I would check Amazon first to see if I get get one with free shipping in time for my travel. Depending on where us was travelling, that would determine what I used.
When I went to Europe, I made a simple pencil case like zipper case out on soft cotton that I put a binding along the top and snaps at the ends. I snapped the ends around my bra straps and tucked the cotton case into my bra. The zipper was at the top and I had access to my passport and traveller’s checks without worrying about getting robbed.