Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pat Sloan's BOM

Pat Sloan's BOM

Is anyone doing this in January? I just got the rest of my fabric today. This is the 1st time I am going to do anything like this.
    Pat

Do you have a link?
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

I don't know about this mystery stuff any more. After the Bonnie Hunt mystery quilt, I'm not sure about them.

I generally will do a mystery if I'm able to pull from my stash. But, I won't buy new fabric for one because I have not loved a few. Or if I'm able, I wait until it's not a mystery anymore and decide if I like the finished pattern before tackling it.

This sounds like fun, I might join this one. I've never done a mystery quilt before.
    Heather

I noticed that my LQS has the fabric for this BOM. They are having a big sale after Christmas. If I can purchase the fabric there, I will join. To be honest, I usually do not like the pattern of mystery quilts; but I always learn something and I can always find someone who likes the quilt to whom I can give it. I'm pretty sure I will be joining you. Thanks for the information.

this is last years. http://www.freequiltpatterns.info/gl...-pat-sloan.htm
    My first mystery was with Bonnie Hunter and it spoiled it for doing it with anyone else
    everyone else's are, how can I say it? Boring. Way too simple for my taste. But my own quilts are complicated so it makes sense that I like Bonnies.

I did Pats Mystery Quilt for 2014 and it was easy. She gives you the 2 color options but lots of people made scrappy or chose their own colors from their stash. She gives you step by step pdf form for the monthly block-in both of her color ways. I would print out the color way I was using only.
    Pat has cute unique patterns and for a quickie block-normally throw size, I'd suggest to try or maybe print out and so later. There is not a time limit on retreiving her patterns.
    I did Pats, Fat Quarter Shop and LQS BOMs this year. I think Pats was my favorite.

Jill M

My LQS did 2014 as a BOM: black and white with a third color option which I chose lime green. I'm quilting it now. I may do 2015 but will pull from my stash though I love her fabric.

I did buy her fabric, because as a newbie I have no stash. I liked the ides it was only 1 BOM, so I wouldn't feel rushed.
    Pat

Hmm, I like Pat Sloan so I'll have to take a look at this. Thanks for the idea!

Blog Entries
    I am doing it.
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    Pat's is a block of the month, not a "mystery" ala Bonnie Hunter. I love the way she presents her blocks, especially the two colorways.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

I've started aBOM but usually get bored before the quilt is half finished. Plus I'm not a mystery buff, I want to know I will like it before I spend a lot of money I'll end up hating.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I did the Pat Sloan BOM through my LQS last year--I do like her directions. I also am about to finish Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt from last year--need the borders only. And frankly--it wiped me out! One of the blocks has 52 pieces! I tend more toward modern quilt, but wanted to do this one so I could do a scrappy quilt other than string quilts. Now I'm not so sure I want to do her current mystery quilt--looks pretty involved and I'm having a hard time "seeing" the colors. Think I agree with a few of you--I'm not real confident about my mystery quilts!

But I might check out Pat Sloan's BOM.

Quote Originally Posted by somoquilter View Post
    I don't know about this mystery stuff any more. After the Bonnie Hunt mystery quilt, I'm not sure about them.
    Was there a problem with her mystery quit? This summer I took the Marcus Brother's sew along. I didn't buy the kit I just used what I had. It was fun.

Has anyone found all of the fabrics at any particular shop online? I've looked at a couple places and each one only has a few. Then I would have to pay several shipping charges
    Heather

I have started Bonnie Hunter's Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt. I am not sure I'll ever get it done. I've fallen behind during the holidays. Pat Sloan's BOM sounds like it might be slower paced and doable for me. I think I'll try it.

I wish I could make myself do a mystery, I just have sooooo many quilts I KNOW I want to do taking the time and resources to do a mystery I may or may not like is not in the cards for me. But I do love lurking on the mystery sites.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

While on the website, I looked at her 2014 mystery BOM quilt. I liked it. I might just do this one. Got to go fabric shopping in my stash.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Just picked out my fabric, I am ready!

Well, I have ordered all my fabric. I ended up having to substitute 2 of them but I think it will all work out. I finally found the navy coneflower fabric but ended up having to pay $12.35 for shipping! That one hurt but it was the only shop I could find it and I really liked it. I should have gone with the turquoise instead of the navy. The turquoise ones were much easier to find. My fabric won't all be here by 1/2 but I can review the block instructions and be ready when it does arrive. This should be fun I took a class from Pat in August and really enjoyed it.
    Heather

PatinVT - thank you so much for telling us about this. I bought some of this fabric a couple of months ago and had no idea what I was going to do with it! I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
    Has anyone found all of the fabrics at any particular shop online? I've looked at a couple places and each one only has a few. Then I would have to pay several shipping charges
    I had to get my fabric from several different places on line.
    Pat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast