Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patch Quilt Help needed.  Quilt for my Father. >

Patch Quilt Help needed. Quilt for my Father.

Patch Quilt Help needed. Quilt for my Father.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:45 PM

Hi...what part of sunny, shakin Ca are you in? I'm So. Cal, in a rural area of Riverside Cnty. Sounds like the people on this board will have you making your own quilt on that Brother if you don't watch it! LOL.

Sue
Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 PM

take it from someone who has been through it---the picture album is the better choice. quilts get the heck washed out
of them and pictures would soon be ruined. the album he could put in his lap & look at every day. and it could stay in a drawer next to his bed. make the pictures 8x10 so they are
easy to see. otherwise,there are many methods around to do the fabric quilts. and---A letter from you every week would bring much joy. smitty
Old 03-16-2010, 07:30 PM

Ok I just did a quilt like this for a friend and I got the fabric sheets from this company http://www.cjenkinscompany.com/
on line. You can get all differant types of materal pre finished to print on that you just run through your printer, but the cheapest is the broad cloth which runs about $14 per 10 sheets ( I just looked and they have a sale going so it's only $9 per 10 sheets)
Anyway, you print the photos, heat set the ink, rinse them in a mild soapy water, let them dry a bit then iron them flat and then cut & sew them into your quilt anyway you like. It sounds like a lot but it's really simple to do.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:12 PM

Hey Friend, make a picture album and a memory picture quilt, then your Dad would have both and lots of visits and letters or cards. Maybe some of your vacation time to Hawaii would be better spent with a visit to Dad. Gerbie
Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 PM
dsj

Hi Ron, It is nice of you to think that much of your dad, quilts touch the hearts of many especially memory quilts. My sis lives in Florida and would probably love to do this for you, she is a big scrap booker and quilter these days so she understands how important photos and memories are. If you are interested she might just be too. She has such a soft heart. She is doing some commissioned pieces for a furniture store in Gatlinburg, Tn. The great Smokies. Her work is very good. you can pm me if you want.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch
Ok I just did a quilt like this for a friend and I got the fabric sheets from this company http://www.cjenkinscompany.com/
on line. You can get all differant types of materal pre finished to print on that you just run through your printer, but the cheapest is the broad cloth which runs about $14 per 10 sheets ( I just looked and they have a sale going so it's only $9 per 10 sheets)
Anyway, you print the photos, heat set the ink, rinse them in a mild soapy water, let them dry a bit then iron them flat and then cut & sew them into your quilt anyway you like. It sounds like a lot but it's really simple to do.
I would also reccomend this company. The products are first rate, and the clarity of the pictures seems better than some I have tried.

Let us know how your visit to the guild went. I hope you found someone able to help in your project - to whatever extent you wish. (I won't volunteer. I am working on a similar project for my folks. Their 67th anniversary is this summer.)
Old 03-18-2010, 10:36 AM

Thirty years and you've only been home once? I can't even comment on that. However, your LQS would probably be the best place to find help. They know the local quilters and who is reliable and who would be the best to help you with your project. I hope you're going to take it to him when it's finished!
Old 03-23-2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by smitty
take it from someone who has been through it---the picture album is the better choice. quilts get the heck washed out
of them and pictures would soon be ruined. the album he could put in his lap & look at every day. and it could stay in a drawer next to his bed. make the pictures 8x10 so they are
easy to see. otherwise,there are many methods around to do the fabric quilts. and---A letter from you every week would bring much joy. smitty
Sorry, I have to disagree with this one. I work in a nursing home and photo albums are nice but are hard to handle when you get older and don't have a lot of arm and hand strength. a
couple of my residents have the picture quilts their families have
made for them and they cherish them. Yes, they have been
washed and have some fading but they are spread out on their beds and they are so proud to show everyone that enters their room "their family". Ron, this is a great thing you want to do and yes, please visit your father soon.