Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patch Quilt Help needed.  Quilt for my Father. >

Patch Quilt Help needed. Quilt for my Father.

Patch Quilt Help needed. Quilt for my Father.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:25 AM

Ron,I would look for a signature quilt or a snowball quilt that has a white or off white background block. You can go on e-bay to find these. Sometimes the signature block quilts don't have large white blocks to write on so I would try to look for the snowball quilts first,don't take to long and let this get by you your father would absolutely love it. I did an embroidered quilt for a friend of mine whose sister was dying with cancer. There were 12 brothers and sisters in the family. She loved the quilt and would not let them take the quilt off her bed. Then it was passed on to the person of her choice. Good luck with this wonderful thought.

Brenda(twinstitchin)
Old 03-16-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by RocketQjQ
My wife and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in May to visit relatives and.....to take a Cruise Ship to see all the islands for once. We lived on Ohau for 4years, in our younger days and usually go back every few years to visit. Things have sure changed over time but the Cruise is on my Bucket List as well as skydiving but I moved skydiving to the bottom of my list, maybe during that time frame when I need to wear Depends. Put em through the real test.
....Ron

ps. I just found a quilters quild by our house and they have a meeting this weekend, so I think I will attend and start my journey into the world of quilting.
Watch out - you might find yourself getting the quilting addiction!!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:18 PM

I love that you are making/having made a quilt for your Dad. I also love the pictures on it which your Dad will always treasure - definitely print them, not iron them on as they will last longer.

Another suggestion - make sure you and your family members each sign a block and maybe write something special to your Dad. It could be as simple as telling him that you love him or maybe a memory of something funny that happened a while back.

My Dad passed away suddenly last year and he was my hero and rock. I had made him several quilts but his favorite one was the one I gave him on his 70th birthday, and his last, that I used old fashioned trains in it and put minkie on the back - I insisted that he be buried with this quilt and keep him warm forever and it gives me great peace that it will always be with him physically.

Good luck and I cannot wait to see the final result of your work!
Old 03-16-2010, 03:58 PM

It is so thoughtful of you to give your father a quilt. I am teaching myself to quilt using this board and the book "Quilting for Dummies"! If I can do it, anyone can! The book is really good and is available on Amazon. I want to make my 87 year old Gpa a quilt before he passes. He was a career airforce man and I would like to make an airforce themed quilt for him.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:30 PM

Ron,
It sounds as though you're on your way starting with the pictures and the memories associated with them. I'll bet you are able to find someone in your area to help :D

Good Luck
Old 03-16-2010, 05:14 PM

i agree try to find a quiler in your area if i lived by you i would love to help you out i have made 4 of them one for my dad and sisters out of fond memories from along time ago and they all cherish them
Old 03-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned

Oh gosh, so now I have another thread to watch. I am so intrigued by this idea. My sister made a similar quilt for my parents shortly before she died. It has pictures of the 8 of us kids on it with my parents in the center. She printed the pictures on the fabric using her printer. It's been more than 10 years now and it still looks amazing. My parents have had it hanging in their family room all these years and I'm amazed at how the colors have held up.

I say you dive right in ~ get some of the right stuff for printing out your own pictures, cut some squares and break into your new machine. You can do this :)
Old 03-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

Hi and welcome to the board. I cant help you with your question. but one or more of these wonderful people on the board can help you. Penny
Old 03-16-2010, 06:04 PM

I am a quilter and live in columbus, ohio. Where is your dad? Perhaps we could work together on a quilt. It is easier to put pictures on fabric and then make the quilt. I could make a throw size quilt for your dad if you want to send me the pictures. Let me know what you think.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:38 PM

Hi, I really like your idea of a memory quilt with family photos for your Dad to look at when he gets lonely. They definitely do when they are away from family and in a home facility. I agree with others about the sew in for the pictures instead of iron on's the iron on's are like some tee shirt decals, eventually crack and wear off. I am planning a memory quilt for my daughter hopefully to complete this summer. Anyway, I was going through things today to get things I need for the project and found my fabric sheets. As someone else mentioned, go to Hobby Lobby or some quilt shop and look for June Taylor's Sew In colorfast Fabric Sheets for Ink Jet printers, 3 pages per package. The package I have are 8 l/2x11 sheets. I have used these before and really like them, instructions are included and the sheets are cotton fabric, I would check these out and find some one at the quilt shop and/ or a local quilt guild to help you. I don't know if these come in any color except white, because that's all I have ever found them in. But they work great. I love your idea, and better yet, instead of mailing it to your Dad when it is finished, perhaps you and siblings if there are any could all meet and hand deliver. That would be the greatest gift he could receive. Both of my parents are deceased, and I miss them dearly, so any time you can spend with your Dad will be fond memories you will always cherish. Good luck with your project. Gerbie