Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patch Quilt Help needed.  Quilt for my Father. >

Patch Quilt Help needed. Quilt for my Father.

Patch Quilt Help needed. Quilt for my Father.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:36 PM

This is kind of funny. I just remember for Christmas, in 2008, I bought myself a Brother Disney SE-270D Sewing machine as a Christmas present, because I ripped my jeans trying to climb over a fence. (it was that day, I realized that at 18, I could simply Hop over a fence and it was that day I climbed, crawled and hung on for dear life over the fence, plus showed the neighbors I was wearing cartoon boxers after a loud ripping sound). (note to self, use the gate next time ball goes over fence).

Anyways, I was sitting her responding to all, I remembered this (yeah, funny now, not then, that was a new pair of Levis) and I checked my office and sure enough a brand new sewing machine is still sitting there in the closet with my jeans neating folded on top. Tooo funny. Maybe I'll sit this thing up and see if I can't sew my fingers together. Does anyone know if this is a good sewing machine?? More importantly, can it sew jeans? hahaha

Thanks ....Ron
Old 03-15-2010, 12:54 PM

I don't know if it will sew jeans or not, it should if you use a size 14 needle, go slowly and don't try to sew too many layers. Since it's been sitting for so long you should take the plate off, the bobbin holder out and oil it before using.

I DO KNOW THIS----You gotsa lotta nerve talking about it being 80 degrees and going to the beach when some of us are sitting in our 3rd day of dreary, drizzly, cloudy gray skies and 50 degree weather with a biting wind blowing. (and a lot of us worse off) Of course we use this weather to do some of our best quilting.

:lol:
You're welcome to use my board name on the border if you want and enjoy the beach.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 PM

I will oil the bobbin thingy and send some of this sunshine to the midwest. All of our plum trees are in full blossom and my neighbors orange trees are already dropping oranges on our side so "Spring is a coming". I think you folks out in Ill and Ohio areas have had your share of cold weather and snow this year, so may you be blessed with warm weather soon.

If not.... may the quilts of tomorrow be made with love today.

Thanks ...Ron
Old 03-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Thanks. I, for one, will be watching for that good weather. I have a cousin in Huntington Beach and one that lives in Hawaii so they're always rubbing it in about not missing Illinois weather.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Hi and welcome. I hope you can find a quilter.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:26 PM

My wife and I are planning a trip to Hawaii in May to visit relatives and.....to take a Cruise Ship to see all the islands for once. We lived on Ohau for 4years, in our younger days and usually go back every few years to visit. Things have sure changed over time but the Cruise is on my Bucket List as well as skydiving but I moved skydiving to the bottom of my list, maybe during that time frame when I need to wear Depends. Put em through the real test.
....Ron

ps. I just found a quilters quild by our house and they have a meeting this weekend, so I think I will attend and start my journey into the world of quilting.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:42 PM

You'll find the trip much more rewarding than the one to Hawaii. LOL
Old 03-15-2010, 02:47 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California. Today would be a great day for the beach, it is gorgeous out!!! In the 80's here too.
Does this mean that you have decided to try your own hand at putting together a quilt? Should you decide to do that, the folks at your guild will probably be glad to help you. Or you can find someone there to make that quilt and then you can try one on your own. We have several really talented male quilters here on the board. It is not impossible to be able to wield a mean hammer and tame a "mean" sewing machine!!!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:07 PM

It won't matter if there are crooked seams and missed stitches or even if the edges are straight, if you make it your father will absolutely love it. The pictures will be an added bonus. Expect a few tears. I'll bet the ladies in the quilt guild will mother hen you into having done within a few weeks. Nothing we like better than hooking someone else into our addiction.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:46 PM

I have had the Brother 270D several years now, had it serviced once a year, and it is a little trooper. I 'specially like the built-in alphabet/word functions. Made all kinds of designs on it including free-standing lace ornaments and bowl sections, and also love the way it sews. It IS a Brother, afterall!