Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patrice, are you there? >

Patrice, are you there?

Patrice, are you there?

Old 06-29-2007, 11:23 AM

Hi Patrice, I saw this post on another quilting forum and thought of you. Might be of interest to you?
I just got the electronic Fons and Porter newsletter. In it, they are asking readers to submit their ideas for quilts. If you have ever designed your very own quilt pattern, that means you! If they like your design, it could end up in their magazine. C'mon! Go for it!

Imelda
Old 06-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator

that's a very nice thing for you to say. :P

i'll give it a looksee. thanks.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:33 PM

Don't just look do it.You've done some beauitful designs you should get some reconition. Besides then we can all brag that we knew you when
Old 06-30-2007, 02:30 AM
Administrator

i did take a look. i'll have to find out first whether winning means i have to surrender the rights to the pattern and instructions. if it doesn't, i'll give it a shot. if it does, i'll have to think long and hard.

either way, it'll always make me feel reeeeeeeeeeelly warm and fuzzy to know you think i'd have a chance at winning.
:P
Old 06-30-2007, 02:53 AM

Go for it! You've obviously got a talent for designing and if you got a pattern published, it could be the start of something new for you.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:16 AM

Pleeeeeze give it a try, Patrice! You were so very fast and clever at making a pattern out of my old blue and white flowered quilt. We all love your use of color and your "Patrice Originals" designs. Your patterns are way better than anything we find in the magazines.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Administrator

i'm overwhelmed by your praise and encouragement.

i am hard at work on developing the first of what i hope will be a long line of PatriceJ Patterns. (i need a waaaaay better name than that!) i'm not sure i'm a contest-type, though. whenever i cruise displays of quilt contests, i find that i rarely agree with the judges. i can only hope it's some major differences in workmanship that drive their choices because the winning quilt designs themselves quite often pale in comparison to those that don't win.

i haven't looked at any others, but considering how much work goes into an original design - not to mention making the quilt itself - i think the F&P prizes are pitiful. they also pay a pittance for patterns the select from the unsolicited submissions. you have to sign away your rights to the design, too.

i don't expect to make piles of money when i finally go public with my designs. too much established and already famous competition. but ... even if i make only a little i'd rather it was because i only sold a few at really fair prices than because i practically gave them away to somebody who has the market presence to turn around and make piles from them for themselves.

too soon to start divulging details, but i'm in cahoots with a couple of other quilters, kickin' around ideas for a site. when the time is right, we'll put the information over under the sell/swap link.

i also want to say here, now, and as often as necessary, that i consider you guys my quilting buddies first and foremost. the day i let myself start seeing you all as "potential customers" instead of friends is the day somebody needs to smack me upside the head.

:P
Old 07-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Suz

Patrice,

Most of all, we are your cheering section right here in the front row. Listen closely and you can hear us. Please allow us to help anyway that we can even if we cannot see the bigger picture. Blessings, Suzanne
Old 07-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Administrator

you have no idea how much you're helping already. i literally get tears in my eyes and all choked up sometimes because of all the compliments and encouragement. :P

if i pull this off, you guys will deserve a HUGE chunk of the credit. if not for ya'll, i'd have never thought i'd have a chance of taking the steps i hope to take before the year is out.

you guys are the greatest. :P
Old 07-01-2007, 02:27 PM

Your the greatest. We're just your moral support