Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterm? ideas? how to's? >

Patterm? ideas? how to's?

Patterm? ideas? how to's?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:14 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jamie
I've never in my life make a piece of clothing, so i'm trying to do as much research as I can before i go ahead and try to do it lol :)
Morgans been a challenge, because she needs to easily get the clothes on and off with one arm, and it has to comfortable fit with her leg brace..so I've just been buying her stretch pants, but they are always so boring. I finally found a company that makes a shoe that will fit both feet without having to buy two pairs, the foot brace causes one shoe to never fit. So i figured we would work on the next challenge Pants lol
Yikes. Well, sewing clothes isn't like quilting. But you can do it! Start with a simple pattern at first. The pj pattern is a good one to start with. Make sure the elastic is waistband elastic so it won't roll (fold and be uncomfortable) on her. Seam allowances are usually 5/8 inch instead of 1/4. And backstitch when you start and stop--unlike piecing a quilt. And if you need help as you go along, PM me. I'm usually on the computer at least twice a day.

And hugs to your daughter!!

Nancy
Old 08-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Also, measure your daughter to get her dimensions and then buy a pattern that is close to her measurements.

Ready-to-wear and pattern sizes differ.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:05 AM

My daughter has twins, one wears a brace, when she buys shoes she has to buy 3 pr.! Can you share with me where you got the shoes that fit the brace? I hope you have a ball making the pants, your daughter is probobly a blast to be around. Our Mason is the happiest, most irrisistable personality of all my grandkids! When they go through so much at such a young age, they seem to take the day to day stuff right in stride. He had his stroke when only a day old. All the best to you and yours.

Originally Posted by Jamie
I've never in my life make a piece of clothing, so i'm trying to do as much research as I can before i go ahead and try to do it lol :)
Morgans been a challenge, because she needs to easily get the clothes on and off with one arm, and it has to comfortable fit with her leg brace..so I've just been buying her stretch pants, but they are always so boring. I finally found a company that makes a shoe that will fit both feet without having to buy two pairs, the foot brace causes one shoe to never fit. So i figured we would work on the next challenge Pants lol
Old 08-27-2010, 11:14 AM

the pattern for sleep pants is great and you can use any kind of novelty or other fabric...they are made with the elastic waist band :)
Old 08-27-2010, 12:50 PM

The shoes are Becky Bones shoes..they are an enviromentaly friendly shoe..they do have a website..I baught them at our local Kohls..they are a wide, skater type shoe..but they easily fit over her foot brace, and the other foot, saving me from having to buy her two pairs of shoes just to have one set that fit. I have 4 kids so shoe shopping has Not been a lot of fun.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:57 PM

Elastic waist pants are one of the easiest things to sew, and as you get better you can add a lot of details like pockets, topstitching, etc.

You could probably find some lightweight denim and make her some that look more like actual jeans, topstitched with that yellow/gold jeans thread, if she misses jeans.

I can see a lot of fun variations, really. Cuffs of contrasting fabric, patch pockets with cool buttons, iron-on patches, etc.

ETA : I had a skirt made out of tencel denim that was very soft, so that might be a good option (if you can find it on the bolt) if you wanted to try denim.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:21 PM

How about just taking a ready to wear pant that she likes and ripping it apart for a pattern. that or....if you already have some ready to wear just applique stuff on them. There are these jeans that are all the "ooak" craze right now. They are called Mosaic or decoupage pants.

http://www.youcanmakethis.com/info/e...page-Party.htm
http://www.youcanmakethis.com/info/e...osaicJeans.htm

You could also do rouching/ruffly stripes around the bottom of the leggs,
http://www.youcanmakethis.com/info/e...ade-Simple.htm

Make some rumba ruffly pants like this
http://www.youcanmakethis.com/info/e...ed-Gauchos.htm

This is how I make Kenzie's jeans fit her for an extra month or so! lol
http://www.youcanmakethis.com/info/e...-Tab-Jeans.htm

I LOVE these http://www.youcanmakethis.com/info/e...aggy-Weave.htm

All of these ideas are really easy to do, no need for a pattern and they can all be done with ready to wear pants! I have been decorating pants for my six year old. When she entered Pre-K the teachers couldn't help them with their pants, well I couldn't find "cute" pants in her size with elastic waist. So I had to improvise!

Why is it that we can find "little" girl pants that are cute and have elastic but bigger girl pants are boring with elastic!