Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pattern and fabric

The quilt is beautiful as is, and I certainly said: WOW, when I saw it. I couldn't imagine how you were going to mix black and brown together, but you've done a gorgeous job of it, and are to be heartily congratulated. Don't worry about the size. I'd done several queen sized quilts, and was anxious when I did my first king. In fact, it turned out not much different than a queen, just a little bigger. You're doing a superb job of color selection and piecing. Don't let anyone tell you any different! And you've picked a lovely, varied pattern with constantly changing areas of interest due to pattern and color changes. It's brillant. I'll bet if you asked, your DIL wouldn't want a quilt that was so fancy and intricate that it "stole the show" and took all of the attention away from the other decorating in their master bedroom. I know I wouldn't. I went to a lot of trouble to decorate our master bedroom. I wouldn't want a "masterpiece" on the bed taking attention away from all my hard work. You are right to create a quilt with "Wow" factor, but not so complicated as to steal the whole show. A master bedroom should be be balanced, and encourage the eye to wander, rest in areas, and then continue to wander. Your quilt will allow for that.

Congratulations! You should be proud of yourself!

Cheers!
    Last edited by MacThayer; 04-18-2012 at 11:50 PM.
    MacThayer

Love it a lot

My timid suggestion. You might be happier using an hourglass block with the 9 patches when you go to the larger size.
    Vic Tori Ann Work Shop

Blog Entries
    I love the pattern and when I read black and brown I sorta of pictured something dark - this is lite and interesting. The blocks are small which I prefer I don't like the 12 x 12 blocks sometimes as they look sparse. You can jazz it up with the border if you find the end project too plain for you tastes. But this is a well designed and great color play project as it is. Great job!!!!
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    It is beautiful You are always going go find someone that disagrees with your choice of fabric. Therefore go with what YOU like.

Blog Entries
    I think it's gorgeous. You didn't say how big the blocks are but with a king size quilt you could go with a bit larger block and not loose the look of the pattern and still be able to show off some of the larger prints.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    Very nice, she will love it.

I really like your chosen colors and layout. Not sure what you will be losing with your layout...but it sure speaks to me.

Banned
    It's a great quilt - stick with it and do not make the blocks any larger.
    Simple blocks made 12" squares never look good.
    Last edited by gollytwo; 04-19-2012 at 06:00 AM.

I agree that this is a great quilt, and I wouldn't change it. Maybe you're just too close to it (literally). If you can put some distance between you and the quilt - usually about 10-12 feet - you'll see the pattern clearly.

If you still think it is lacking something, you could turn your HST and put it into a barn raising or other traditional Log Cabin-type setting (right now you're using the fields and furrows setting). If you need help with that just post another question and someone will jump in and offer suggestions.

Be sure to post pics when you're done.

Darren
    Last edited by wesing; 04-19-2012 at 06:20 AM.

I like it - just like it is. I can see the pattern fine.
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Quote Originally Posted by jfowles View Post
    I love it, don't change anything!!!!
    Ditto! Ditto! Isn't this setting called "Harvard 9-Patch"? It's my very favorite setting for 9-patches & yours is fabulous!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I think that it already has the WOW factor going on. Your DIL will love it.
    Snownannie

Power Poster
    looks great i would keep going
    QUILTNMO

Lovely quilt!

Agree, don't change a thing! It's lovely!

I think it's great. I wouldn't change a thing!

That looks like the Wow factor to me! Don't change a thing!! Your choices are right on. I think you have a good eye for color, texture and pattern!
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

Super nice - great fabric choices - keep it going.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

The pattern is great! Just make sure that the 9 nine patch squares are very light and very dark and the big HST squares a decidedly medium, so you don't get blocks that look they are bleeding together. Mostly your choices are right on, but there are a few where the 9 patches block sort of runs into the HST colors. ( the paisley in the second and third row is what catches my eye). I love the design!

Blog Entries
    I agree with everyone. I really like it and would leave it alone.

WOW!!! I love it!!

You will not loose the pattern as there is a strong contrast between darks and light. I at times loose part of the pattern on purpose. Your pattern layout and fabric is stunning. Go for it!
    Anna Quilts

I also love what you have done and the colors you have chosen. My only thought might be, if you want to break it up a little more is that you could try turning some of your HSTs into the Jacob's Ladder pattern, where the darks meet points and the lights meet points. All you would have to do is make some of the 9 patches opposite of the ones you have so the darks are on the corners for the light HSTs and the lights are on the corners for the dark HSTs. Except for the placement of the darks and lights, everything else is the same as you have it. I don't think this would add any more WOW factor than you already have, it would just be another way to break up the pattern in a large quilt.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast