Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PATTERN FLAWS >

PATTERN FLAWS

PATTERN FLAWS

Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 PM

I'm taking a class that uses the plastic templates from a nationally know company. Almost every week our instructor, that has made the quilt, tells us to make a correction on our pattern. Now I'm a math person so I would notice that it should be 12 1/2" not 2 1/2" but what about the new person? I know we should read through but do we have to do the "math" also? I have had the same problem with my BOM it tells me to cut corner blocks at 8" and then attach a 6" strip. Those 8" blocks have applique on them can't be cut down - what do I do? Does anyone else have this problem with patterns?
Old 05-24-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ms Elaine Va
I'm taking a class that uses the plastic templates from a nationally know company. Almost every week our instructor, that has made the quilt, tells us to make a correction on our pattern. Now I'm a math person so I would notice that it should be 12 1/2" not 2 1/2" but what about the new person? I know we should read through but do we have to do the "math" also? I have had the same problem with my BOM it tells me to cut corner blocks at 8" and then attach a 6" strip. Those 8" blocks have applique on them can't be cut down - what do I do? Does anyone else have this problem with patterns?
I am the new person who would have followed the plans and realized the error after cutting! :hunf:
Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 PM

I find alot of mistakes in many patterns. Usually I wonder if the designer didn't have a group of separate people make the pattern before marketing it. And when I am taking a class I expect that the teacher has made the item and marked down any errors found before the first class. To be honest, I won't take classes again from a teacher who didnt give out corrects by the first class. I don't normally buy kits, however bought one on a shop hop. The fabric wasn't long enough to make the border the way the directions told you to. If I hadn't caught it first, I would have ruined fabric by cutting the way the directions said. No more kits for me.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:05 PM

Once I purchased a pattern and the amount of fabric stated in the pattern instructions. Several days later I started cutting out the pattern only to discover that I did not have enough fabric to make my quilt and since I had purchased it on sale, neither did the quilt store. Because of this experience, I always read completely through the pattern and do the math before I purchase my fabric.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Power Poster

I understand completely. I always check the designer's web site (if there is one) to find any corrections that have been posted, and I do my own math to check out the pattern's dimensions. I did that recently with a paper pieced pattern from a very well known designer. While making the pattern I discovered more errors not posted on the site and sent an email to the designer - and received no answer. That didn't impress me much!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:31 PM

After one unfortunate experience, I double-check the math of any new pattern. And, if it's an especially complicated pattern/block, I make up one sample before I cut all the fabric. I know the printers have people checking, too, but better safe than sorry.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:02 AM

I don't follow patterns so I never had his problem. But I have made mathematical mistakes. Like when I bought backing and border fabrics for my last project. I had the amounts I needed for each switched around so I bought too much border fabric and too little backing fabric. Thankfully I remembered I had some extra wide black fabric stashed away in a box somewhere.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:50 AM

Seems a lot of patterns have errors, but what really gets me is the pattern makers/publishers usually know about the error. Most patterns have a disclaimer saying "not responsible". While making a quilt top, got to final stages and discovered major error, contacted company that published and made them refund me for fabric and some of my time. The book did not have a disclaimer therefore, I could get reimbursed. What really upset me was the book was reprinted with the same error even though it was known by pattern maker/publisher.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 AM

I have found errors in books, in magazines, and from single patterns. Drives me crazy! One of the main reasons I got EQ7, better off just figuring stuff out myself
Old 05-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Banned

I have found errors in the Walmart quilt of the Month patterns. I look them over closely before I put them out for out customers!
The Wispy Rose pattern called for only 1/4 yard on the front but in the instructions it had the corrected amount that was more like a yard and a half!